• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I suppose that is one way of making sure our Veterans don't end up on the street!"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

and wrong as usual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conven...%20Hong%20Kong.

The thoughts of Private Warty are available in a little red book from a communist bookstore near you.

Better tell Tibet, Taiwan & Korea that they are making it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ublic_of_China
    It's Warty.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Really, you believe we had it in perpetuity? Seems someone can't read.

We stole it, via a war (drugs war, not nice are we) and forced China to cede the island. We then leased further territories the lease of which ran out in 1997.

We negotiated with PRC handing back the areas. There was no war, China did not invade, no one died (at the time, who knows since then).

So no, China are not the bogey men that seems some have been brain washed to believe.

Granted that they are culturally different to us in the west. But unlike the west and the warring traditions, China has NEVER invaded another country or started a war. Seems to me all China do are building up expertise to protect themselves.
    and wrong as usual.

In the Treaty of Nanking, in 1842, the Qing government agreed to make Hong Kong a Crown colony, ceding it 'in perpetuity', following British victory in the First Opium War. During the second half of the 19th century, Britain had become concerned over the security of the isolated island, Hong Kong. Consequently, in Convention of Peking, following British victory in the Second Opium War, Kowloon Peninsula was ceded to Britain. The New Territories, with a 99-year lease, were the only territories forming the Crown colony of Hong Kong that were obliged by agreement to be returned.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conven...%20Hong%20Kong.

The thoughts of Private Warty are available in a little red book from a communist bookstore near you.

Better tell Tibet, Taiwan & Korea that they are making it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ublic_of_China

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Are you shagging a Chinese bird by any chance?

Btw, the UK chose to give up Hong Kong Island and Kownloon, even though they'd been granted the lands in perpetuity.

FFS, don't they teach you kids anything?
    Really, you believe we had it in perpetuity? Seems someone can't read.

We stole it, via a war (drugs war, not nice are we) and forced China to cede the island. We then leased further territories the lease of which ran out in 1997.

We negotiated with PRC handing back the areas. There was no war, China did not invade, no one died (at the time, who knows since then).

So no, China are not the bogey men that seems some have been brain washed to believe.

Granted that they are culturally different to us in the west. But unlike the west and the warring traditions, China has NEVER invaded another country or started a war. Seems to me all China do are building up expertise to protect themselves.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Btw, the UK chose to give up Hong Kong Island and Kownloon, even though they'd been granted the lands in perpetuity.

Its Warty!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Everything you accuse China of, the US is equally guilty, yet we accept it with them as we think they are on our side.
    America is trying to infiltrate us and our allies, such as America? America refuses to condemn Russia's attacks on Ukraine? Hmm.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

I totally think of China and Russia seperately.

Everything you accuse China of, the US is equally guilty, yet we accept it with them as we think they are on our side.

China didn't forecfully take back Hong Kong (even though we forecfully took it off them so they would have had a right to do so). They haven't forcefully taken Taiwan. In fact, I don't recall China starting any wars but happy to be proved wrong. Any wars that China have been involved in have been because they have been invaded, so no, not the same as Russia and nothing like us either who have started our fair share over the centuries.

Btw, the UK chose to give up Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, even though they'd been granted the lands in perpetuity.

Last edited by Zigenare; 19 October 2022, 13:24.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

China is hardly a friendly power. They have installed a number of backdoors in technology they sell to us and have aggressively positioned themselves to take over the financial world.

Would you think it was the same were it Russia? China isn't that far away in those terms.
    I totally think of China and Russia seperately.

China didn't forecfully take back Hong Kong (even though we forecfully took it off them so they would have had a right to do so). They haven't forcefully taken Taiwan. In fact, I don't recall China starting any wars but happy to be proved wrong. Any wars that China have been involved in have been because they have been invaded, so no, not the same as Russia and nothing like us either who have started our fair share over the centuries.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Selling their government-funded training to a hostile nation?
    Is there a clause in the contract to say that they can't do this? Are our nurses or doctors equally tied down?

Are China really hostile, or are they just another bogey man that our governments create to keep us sheep-like? I'm trying to think when China have threatened us directly?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    As for the original post .... why shouldn't these pilots maxiise their income if someone is willing to pay them? The UK government could make a counter offer, but instead they leak it to a red top to vilify these pilots.

And let's face it, the risk of british pilots going head to head with chinese pilots is pretty low, to zero. I'm guessing we've never had an incidence of a chinese fighter pilot engaging with a british plane?

All a storm in a bone china tea cup.
    China is hardly a friendly power. They have installed a number of backdoors in technology they sell to us and have aggressively positioned themselves to take over the financial world.

Would you think it was the same were it Russia? China isn't that far away in those terms.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

So, a group that has a vested interest in getting as many members as possible (and probably money too) defined a term that maximises their ranks? Well, must be right then
    actually the government defined it as part of the legislation to support the armed forces covenant this is just the quango that administers it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    As for the original post .... why shouldn't these pilots maxiise their income if someone is willing to pay them?
    Selling their government-funded training to a hostile nation?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    As for the original post .... why shouldn't these pilots maxiise their income if someone is willing to pay them? The UK government could make a counter offer, but instead they leak it to a red top to vilify these pilots.

And let's face it, the risk of british pilots going head to head with chinese pilots is pretty low, to zero. I'm guessing we've never had an incidence of a chinese fighter pilot engaging with a british plane?

All a storm in a bone china tea cup.
    Last edited by Whorty; 19 October 2022, 08:30.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    actually as its defined by the veterans association (they probably are in the know but some may disagree) -

There is no requirement for involvement in armed conflict or even attacking anything more dangerous than a pan of Gravy. Uncle Albert probably counts.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...eet_v9_web.pdf

Even those that haven't pointed a rifle at an enemy may have worse prospects returning to Civvy street, this is why the Armed forces covenant was launched.

Mental health & homelessness frequently are the issues.
    So, a group that has a vested interest in getting as many members as possible (and probably money too) defined a term that maximises their ranks? Well, must be right then

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The Troubles
    That's what I get after too much guiness, followed by a vindaloo

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Paddy asked when, I referred him to Veteran's association which published their definition in 2020.

As my post was in 2022 two years after the Government changed the definition, mine is correct and Paddy is an old whiney fart!

HTH BIDI
    Bloody cancel culture with these liberal snowflakes changing definitions of things.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X