• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mini Budget aka Fiscal Statement"

Collapse

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Britain somehow managed (better than now too) before “OBR” was created - using same models as the Treasury, I think a dozen of staff work there - same or better analysis can be done by at least a dozen of large banks/funds
    Tories working with OBR here.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Britain somehow managed (better than now too) before “OBR” was created - using same models as the Treasury, I think a dozen of staff work there - same or better analysis can be done by at least a dozen of large banks/funds
    Totally irrelevant - it's all about the optics. Just let them do their job - if you don't, it rather draws attention to the fact that you might be trying to hide something.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

3? Do you live in Merthyr Tydfil?
    nine pints of Green King IPA in spoons, its £1.50 a pint there is one in Windsor, and its that price in Beaconsfield services.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...January%202022.

Oh forgot Windsor spoons is now aptly named "The King & Castle" opposite Windsor castle. Seemed a bit odd when her majesty was alive.
    Last edited by vetran; 18 October 2022, 14:29.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Yes 3 and often a lightly damaged car stereo for a tenner
    That wasn't beer.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yes 3 and often a lightly damaged car stereo for a tenner

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I don't think the markets care one jot about IR35. They probably don't care about the 19% personal tax rate either. It was the rash rash of dramatic cuts tossed out with no forethought and the refusal to have them 'audited'.
    I didn't imply the did. They care about the aggregate numbers, not what they relate or amount to individually, as do the OBR. That much is obvious. As I've said elsewhere, the failure to have OBR check their work was a major issue too, which has now been fixed and now matters w/r to these reversals.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

We all know that. But that is not the metric here. The metric is whether it can be squared with OBR (and, hence, the markets).
    I don't think the markets care one jot about IR35. They probably don't care about the 19% personal tax rate either. It was the rash rash of dramatic cuts tossed out with no forethought and the refusal to have them 'audited'.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Oh wow 14 quid a week - this changes everything!

That’s like what - 3 pints in a local pub!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you were just relying on that you would get your £14 a week pension credit plus all the other benefits linked to you claiming that.
    Oh wow 14 quid a week - this changes everything!

That’s like what - 3 pints in a local pub!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

Yet the average joe has no issue with self employed traders taking cash payments . And not declaring it.
    Yup, people are weird.

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied

But it's £2bn and the incremental effects of a bunch of smaller measures were quite large, plus the average Joe either doesn't understand it or works in an office with IT contractors and looks at them as "scumbag tax avoiders". Just read the comments in the FT any time there's an article on IR35
    Yet the average joe has no issue with self employed traders taking cash payments . And not declaring it.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

It's not even £2bn in truth, it's more like a loss all things considered. As HMT have been told on numerous occasions: it seems we have another chancellor who is driven by the Treasury civil service rather than harsh reality.
    We all know that. But that is not the metric here. The metric is whether it can be squared with OBR (and, hence, the markets).

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

But it's £2bn and the incremental effects of a bunch of smaller measures were quite large, plus the average Joe either doesn't understand it or works in an office with IT contractors and looks at them as "scumbag tax avoiders". Just read the comments in the FT any time there's an article on IR35
    It's not even £2bn in truth, it's more like a loss all things considered. As HMT have been told on numerous occasions: it seems we have another chancellor who is driven by the Treasury civil service rather than harsh reality.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost It View Post

Well, I just got my letter from HMRC ref my state pension. Lucky I'm not just relying on it...£8,898 a year. Now if £2500 minimum of that was just going on heating?
    The state pension is only vaguely viable to live off if there are two of you in a couple receiving it. Most of the big outgoings like heating, electricity, water, running a car etc are pretty much the same whether there's one person or two in a household.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X