• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: DOOM: Rib Eye

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DOOM: Rib Eye"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    I shall be cooking a boned out leg of lamb tomorrow afternoon on the BBQ. I hope there are a few vegans downwind...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The problem is there isn't really a word for "like beef" except... "beef". And "pork sausages" - well you know pretty much what you are getting, whereas "veggie sausages" could mean 1000 different things that taste totally different to each other in the same way "meat sausage" is not very descriptive.

I don't like "vegan pork" names but a lot of names are heavily biased on normal context. "Sausage roll" doesn't technically tell you what the sausage is made of, but culturally it's pork sausagemeat.

Some vegetable products have well-defined names like dhaal but a lot of meat replacements don't. Your veggie burger and mine might be utterly different. We don't really have the vocabulary because culturally in the UK, meat is the centre of the meal. For instance, dhaal comes from a culture where vegetarian diets are very common, and they needed words to describe it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    "Catering to" or "making a big profit from?"
    In the case of a local deli of independent cafe likely the former, or even they are promoting veganism rather than catering to it. But the big companies are purely seeing a financial opportunity. Vegans tend to be quite well-off, well-educated types with a lot of cash to spend assuaging their conscience and signalling their virtue

Take them for all you can...

Yes, that's a good point. They wouldn't be so well catered for if there wasn't money in it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'd agree with this totally. My other half is veggie and took her to a place in Didsbury called Greens which is a proper veggie restaurant. Wasn't looking forward to it but I was blown away. I was expecting risotto and all that rubbish you normally get at the bottom of any menu but I couldn't have been more wrong. All the standard dishes you'd expect on a good menu but veggie. I had a pie and it had the same consistency of a good meat pie so proper stodge meal which I like. We had crispy duck type thing but made with tulipake mushrooms. Looked almost the same as crispy duck. Different flavour obviously but no less tasty. If it wasn't a long drive for me I'd be quite happy going there again by choice and I'm a proper meat eater.

The things you can actually do with veggies if you know how was pretty amazing.

On a slightly different topic. One thing that does drive my other half absolutely nuts is restaurants trying to cater for Vegans as well. There has been a marked increase in dishes labelled vegan and veggie to try cater for both.. so it's tasteless vegan food without any thought for the veggies. Trying to be clever but really all they are doing is throwing vegies under the bus. I do hope this is a fad and will die a death very quickly.
    25 years ago there was a fine vegetarian Chinese in Wealdstone, most things you would expect in a Chinese but with vegetables.

Not sure if the Indian in Southall is still going, that used to be great only serving Vegetarian meals.

Plenty of such foreign restaurants cater to vegetarians as their fellow believers are vegetarian or off Beef / Pork.

I have no problem with making meat free but why call it BEEFy ENCHILADAS MEATY RECIPE (made without beef) .

I would consider "5 a day Vegan enchiladas" as a nice change if they were vaguely the same price not five times the price.

Brocoli & Kale sausages are quite nice . But calling them PORKY BESTS BANGERS (meat free) is annoying.

Maybe Indian/Chinese premade recipe food the Kohinoor Brand of lentil etc mains are really nice & filling with rice or bread.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I agree with NLUK's point about over catering to vegans. It's like some have gone to an extreme in order to appease a small group and completely missed that some people love lots of butter and parmesan in a properly made risotto - they just don't want the meat.
    "Catering to" or "making a big profit from?"
    In the case of a local deli of independent cafe likely the former, or even they are promoting veganism rather than catering to it. But the big companies are purely seeing a financial opportunity. Vegans tend to be quite well-off, well-educated types with a lot of cash to spend assuaging their conscience and signalling their virtue

Take them for all you can...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I suppose the point is that a veggie pie is simply not a meat pie. Trying to make one into the other is a hiding to nothing.

I agree with NLUK's point about over catering to vegans. It's like some have gone to an extreme in order to appease a small group and completely missed that some people love lots of butter and parmesan in a properly made risotto - they just don't want the meat.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I don't object to a nice veggie pie but it is nothing like a meat pie.

Bit like people who are lactose intolerant... we could just say "well iced tea is nice" but they'd actually quite like to drink something like milk, hence you can buy lactose-free milk or almond milk, etc.

Sue has again missed the point by fixating on Quorn not being very nice - there are modern products which are far nicer and the science is getting better. Although, meat pies don't have to be made with high quality meat. One of the great things about pies is they allow you to use less choice bits of meat.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If you want a tasty pie that isn't full of meat then get a good veggie cook to cook you one with veggies not Quorn..
    I'd agree with this totally. My other half is veggie and took her to a place in Didsbury called Greens which is a proper veggie restaurant. Wasn't looking forward to it but I was blown away. I was expecting risotto and all that rubbish you normally get at the bottom of any menu but I couldn't have been more wrong. All the standard dishes you'd expect on a good menu but veggie. I had a pie and it had the same consistency of a good meat pie so proper stodge meal which I like. We had crispy duck type thing but made with tulipake mushrooms. Looked almost the same as crispy duck. Different flavour obviously but no less tasty. If it wasn't a long drive for me I'd be quite happy going there again by choice and I'm a proper meat eater.

The things you can actually do with veggies if you know how was pretty amazing.

On a slightly different topic. One thing that does drive my other half absolutely nuts is restaurants trying to cater for Vegans as well. There has been a marked increase in dishes labelled vegan and veggie to try cater for both.. so it's tasteless vegan food without any thought for the veggies. Trying to be clever but really all they are doing is throwing vegies under the bus. I do hope this is a fad and will die a death very quickly.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 19 August 2022, 12:08.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I get that meat substitutes have a place in transitioning people away from meat but, ultimately, it's far better to just learn how to cook vegetables properly. Much healthier and tastier in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Do vegetables have any similarity in appearance, texture or flavour to meat? Quorn is foul muck IMO but the whole "if they don't want to eat meat they should eat vegetables" argument is deliberately over-simplistic.
    If you want a tasty pie that isn't full of meat then get a good veggie cook to cook you one with veggies not Quorn.

If you want a tasty pie that tastes like meat then eat decent meat.

The only thing Quorn is a good substitute for is cheap meat e.g. the value sausage and pie ranges.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

I've stopped eating beef almost completely. Pork...I'm not ready yet to give it up.
    At this rate we might be back to the days of keeping a pig in the back yard as a source of cheap food.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Why isn't sheep on that list?

So cows are particularly bad due to the amount of farting they do, right? Could we conceivably genetically engineer less trumpy cows, or create something that prevents them farting so much - Yakult for cows?! Crazy enough to be possible?

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

I've stopped eating beef almost completely. Pork...I'm not ready yet to give it up.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

What's the point of that pie?

Are they aware you can pies with vegetables in it without fake meat?
    Do vegetables have any similarity in appearance, texture or flavour to meat? Quorn is foul muck IMO but the whole "if they don't want to eat meat they should eat vegetables" argument is deliberately over-simplistic.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post

You might want to try upsetting your wife a little less frequently...
    She's from a part of the world where these things are eaten regularly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X