• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where are my likes and thanks?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Nothing wrong with getting in to the banter I think, they are still people on a forum and have opinions etc but I do find it frustrating when it occasionally affects their decision making. Feeling sorry for PC and defending him to the hilt for example. Anyone else would have had a ban for abusing prof if it had been a pure moderation decision. That said I think I've benefited from the same many times over so maybe it's not a bad thing
    Only my personal opinion - there's joining in and there's being part of the problem. A fine and subjective line.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

As if he isn't punished enough for having to maintain the forum, you now also want him to moderate it? What did he do to upset you?
    If you want the job, you shouldn't be allowed to do it

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I've always thought our long-serving mods have done a good job, but of late some of them seem to want to get in on the rough and tumble of forum life. I don't think it's great mods are in the thick of it, insulting and arguing. Perhaps it's time one or two hung u the ban-hammer so they can enjoy the forum without conflict of interest, I don't know who would want to be a mod anyway! Nominate NF though...
    Right - I'll be clearer.

Yesterday I had to correct a mod because he thought he understood how umbrella firms work and the relationship between a contractor and their umbrella (he didn't).

Likewise I've had to correct a different mod for similar reasons in the recent past.

This isn't a matter of rough and tumble, it's a simple case of talking completely inaccurate codswallop in a professional forum about things they don't actual know enough about to be able to accurately talk about it - and given their position (alongside how other professional forums work where the mods are experts in that field) it's rather dangerous.
    Last edited by eek; 4 November 2021, 12:44.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

As if he isn't punished enough for having to maintain the forum, you now also want him to moderate it? What did he do to upset you?
    Indeed. Come and meet him at an CUK do. He's far too nice to be a mod.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

I've always thought our long-serving mods have done a good job, but of late some of them seem to want to get in on the rough and tumble of forum life. I don't think it's great mods are in the thick of it, insulting and arguing. Perhaps it's time one or two hung u the ban-hammer so they can enjoy the forum without conflict of interest, I don't know who would want to be a mod anyway! Nominate NF though...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'm not sure he is trolling, and if you think he is maybe better to flag it for moderation instead of abusing people in those forums (also not allowed) Stop trying to be Batman.
    That's probably technically true actually. Trolling takes time and effort to do properly. Thankfully PC's efforts amount to nothing more than rank stupidity and laziness which also isn't for prof and the fact nearly every single one he's posted got closed or moved proves that.

It's just frustrating that he won't learn. How many times does he have to post the same moan, get an exasperated comment from a mod, have it closed yet will do it again before he learns. It's very frustrating. He's pissing off the very people he's trying to ask for help. It's just ridiculous.

To be fair I think they do an epic job of something no one else would want to do. The fact we can't think of a single person that could take up the mantle speaks volumes of what a crap job it must be. Nothing wrong with getting in to the banter I think, they are still people on a forum and have opinions etc but I do find it frustrating when it occasionally affects their decision making. Feeling sorry for PC and defending him to the hilt for example. Anyone else would have had a ban for abusing prof if it had been a pure moderation decision. That said I think I've benefited from the same many times over so maybe it's not a bad thing
    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 November 2021, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

My issue with the current mods is that 2 of them think they understand things way more than they actually do. And I really don't like having to correct people who should know better.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

PC is due a ban for trolling Prof so a good chance for one of the mods to redeem themselves yet.
    I'm not sure he is trolling, and if you think he is maybe better to flag it for moderation instead of abusing people in those forums (also not allowed) Stop trying to be Batman.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Indeed but do they prove it with every breath they take like PC? As old Abe said 'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt'
    Goes back to their recent posts

Yep - 1 is a 1 trick pony obsessed by money.

The other is just plain thick

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

I can think of at least 2 current posters on this site who are definitely less bright than PC...
    Indeed but do they prove it with every breath they take like PC? As old Abe said 'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt'

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You really think PC is smarter than... anyone?

I imagine it's like being attacked by a damp lamb.
    I can think of at least 2 current posters on this site who are definitely less bright than PC...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You really think PC is smarter than... anyone?

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
    And yeah , shots fired
    I imagine it's like being attacked by a damp lamb.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
    I think you simply routinely hate on everyone smarter, knowledgeable or successful than you or the mods.
    And you.

Leave a comment:

• GitMaster69
    replied

Wait till they fix the reputation view... Oh boy that's gonna be interesting reading for you.

NickFitz in the abscence of a fix is it possible to download Gitfaces rep and post it on here please?
    I think you simply routinely hate on everyone smarter, knowledgeable or successful than you or the mods.
    Or, God forbid, have different views at certain things.

You put yourself into small box of your views and attack everyone outside it.

Lame to say at least.

And yeah , shots fired
    Last edited by GitMaster69; 4 November 2021, 11:28.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

PC is due a ban for trolling Prof so a good chance for one of the mods to redeem themselves yet.
    No ban and they tried to move it which doesn't work. No redemption here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X