• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor burnout and taking time off"

Collapse

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

just take a full year out and go do a post grad at uni, will look better on your CV than lazing about... any less than that I wouldnt worry I have taken big gaps lots of times, its part of the point of being freelance.
    Last thing I wanna do alongside plan B is a post grad uni degree! Also I'm not worried about taking 2-3 months out. Doesn't do too much harm and you can always paint a prettier picture e.g finished November could mean any day in that month...

I'm going to offer clientco 3 days a week due to burnout and if they don't accept then I'm going to walk and enjoy the rest of the year off with some trips to sunnier climates.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Oh some agents veto you, but they are the crap ones anyways...

Same with hiring managers, any of them small minded enough to not understand how the real world works outside their bubble are best not to be working with anyways
    Like I say, never seen it personally.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

This ..... no one has ever questioned gaps in my cv as a freelancer
    Oh some agents veto you, but they are the crap ones anyways...

Same with hiring managers, any of them small minded enough to not understand how the real world works outside their bubble are best not to be working with anyways

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

just take a full year out and go do a post grad at uni, will look better on your CV than lazing about... any less than that I wouldnt worry I have taken big gaps lots of times, its part of the point of being freelance.
    This ..... no one has ever questioned gaps in my cv as a freelancer

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I think his CV is the last thing that needs worrying about with over a decade experience (plus whatever before contracting), personally. Doing education for fun is a fine idea but only if it IS fun, otherwise it might make things worse.

Since the OP mentioned a plan B which actually makes some money, I'd personally be tempted to do that for 6-12 months but you risk burnout on that too, since there's nobody to stop you working 15 hour days!

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I've been contracting for 11 years now and have a growing Plan B which is providing a bit of extra income. For the first time in 11 years I'm seriously contemplating turning down an extension to take a month or two off and relax as well as give some extra time to Plan B. I've managed to stay outside IR35 so far this year and there are some gigs coming out in my area that are still outside, but I do worry slightly that the next gig will be tougher to land outside.

Just wondering if anybody else has come to this cross roads and taken a chunk of time out to reassess things, free up some thinking space and how it worked out? I think I've taken on a bit too much over the last 4 years and perhaps it's starting to take it's toll on me a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Drinking? 10-pinters, are they?
    I only start to spike the drinks if it looks like they're still in control after the 6th pint of Stella

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

No lube needed with me, the ladies are positively dri....g, well, you get the idea
    Drinking? 10-pinters, are they?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    "Dreading?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	AYi6Rff.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	4187574

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

No lube needed with me, the ladies are positively dri....g, well, you get the idea
    Your girlfriends are drooling - it happens with some illnesses apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

Yep, drifting (away) saves you a fortune!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I thought the only burn you felt is when the lube dried up?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I'm assuming the volume of gin meant 1 day was lost...
    Yeah, I can't count.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post

6 day weekend, shirley?
    I'm assuming the volume of gin meant 1 day was lost...

Leave a comment:

• ravenshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I loved working three days a week when I had opportunity to do so. I was really cheeky and alternated the days I worked too, so every two weeks I had a 5 day weekend

To illustrate:
    Mo Tu We Th Fr
    Wk1 X X X
    Wk2 X X X
    Wk3 X X X
    Wk4 X X X
    6 day weekend, shirley?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X