• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where are the women & kids?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Totally this. The desire to lump large populations into the same preconceived group, to maintain an "us and them" is a large part of the problem of segregation and exclusiveness.
    Refusing to admit that the state's religion (even if it has lapsed) has a massive effect on laws and culture seems a bit dense.

Until recently the vast majority of countries in Europe were Christian led. Their laws reflect the commandments & bible the culture is moving to secularism slowly and gently.

Again suggest a Muslim led country you want to move to live in.

In a secular society segregation by religion is less likely to happen than in a society ruled by religion. See Dubai's handling of churches.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

I agree. It's easier to see the speck in someone else's eye, while ignoring the plank in your own.
    I frequently see my failings - must be my Christian upbringing. Just because I don't believe doesn't mean I am ignorant of the lore.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    France, Spain, Germany are NOT mostly Christian. Neither is the UK. France is notably particularly secular.

You're confusing Eastern/Western with Islamic/Christian... culture with religion.
    oh dear showing your ignorance and ability at basic comprehension. The mostly applies to the number of countries with government historically based on a Christian religion. France, Spain and Germany were most definitely Christian led for many centuries as was America and the UK. The changes in the last 50 years to the number of believers and via immigration have not had a massive effect on their culture or laws.

As you guys seem intent on picking at the arguments I can safely assume you realise that you have lost.

Unless of course you can name a few Muslim led countries you fancy living long term in. I have holidayed in a few but none appealed as a new home.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    This is a reasonable point although in my experience most non-Christians have some pretty odd views what "Christ-like values" and "acting Christian" means. They do love to say "well that's not very Christian". Just as Humanists get pretty upset if a Christian explains to them what their religion/philosophy teaches without ever having read a book on it.
    I agree. It's easier to see the speck in someone else's eye, while ignoring the plank in your own.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    France, Spain, Germany are NOT mostly Christian. Neither is the UK. France is notably particularly secular.

You're confusing Eastern/Western with Islamic/Christian... culture with religion.
    Totally this. The desire to lump large populations into the same preconceived group, to maintain an "us and them" is a large part of the problem of segregation and exclusiveness.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I think Christianity would be more relevant in the modern world if the leaders of it showed Christ-like values. Unfortunately there isn't the financial incentive (USA), nor does it appeal to the right wing aspect of the church.
    It sometimes feels like the beatitudes and the parable of the sheep and goats are not to be taught to "christians" as it they are too challenging. Need to stick to things they can cope with, like the Torah.
    This is a reasonable point although in my experience most non-Christians have some pretty odd views what "Christ-like values" and "acting Christian" means. They do love to say "well that's not very Christian". Just as Humanists get pretty upset if a Christian explains to them what their religion/philosophy teaches without ever having read a book on it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I wouldn't want to live there during that, would you? I wouldn't want to live in England much before 1950 either.

One word. Dentistry.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Oh I am ignorant of your needs! Which Muslim country do you want to live in, and can we have a whip round to send you there?
    Oh dear did your feelings get hurt? No need to lash out and compound the display of ignorance.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Many Brits choose to live in mostly Christian Europe France/Spain/Germany etc. Not so many in predominantly Muslim countries.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Malaysia is on my to-do list.

There was a chance I'd get to do some work in KL. Some people I'd worked with previously were putting together a bid for work as part of a larger consortium and included me with the plan that I'd be out there for about a week at time doing training - ad hoc that could be worked around other commitments.

HWMBO and I had also planned a trip where we travelled up from Singapore through to Langkawi via many interesting spots on the way.

Then covid came and all such schemes went away.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I'd be happy living in Malaysia. Great food, loved KL when I visited, and cheap flights to the other great countries in the region for holidays.
    Oman is great too, although a bit hot for me. But that's another place that doesn't fit with the required stereotype of Wailers.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Oh I am ignorant of your needs! Which Muslim country do you want to live in, and can we have a whip round to send you there?

With a bit of luck they will realise your nocturnal activities are Haram. Do they chop off an arm or something else?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_...ned%20for%20it.

My point was that Islam as a religion to run a country under is historically not a good choice if you want to accommodate minorities. Christianity is a little less abrasive but a secular society derived from a Christian base seems to be the best solution. Do mention any countries that break this rule.

I suggest 'modern' religions do not compete with the law of compassionate nations, Islam is behind mainline Christianity in this. Yes there are sects that don't agree but on the whole its true.
    I'd be happy living in Malaysia. Great food, loved KL when I visited, and cheap flights to the other great countries in the region for holidays.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I can think of a few that make nice holiday destinations....
    Tunisia & Turkey were great places to visit but no I wouldn't want to live there, that really is the point.

Many Brits choose to live in mostly Christian Europe France/Spain/Germany etc. Not so many in predominantly Muslim countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Europe

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/bri...and-vice-versa

Again this is not an attack on faith just an observation that Islam needs to mature if it is to create tolerant and safe countries.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The Ottoman empire did fairly well. Recent history - well that's another matter.

You know what Islam has contributed to the study of Mathematics? Exactly and precisely, nothing.
    Yep Zero. Wait till you see what the Indians did for mathematics.

This is about wanting to live there now not past achievements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...Ottoman_Empire

I wouldn't want to live there during that, would you? I wouldn't want to live in England much before 1950 either.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    My point was that Islam as a religion to run a country under is historically not a good choice if you want to accommodate minorities
    The Ottoman empire did fairly well. Recent history - well that's another matter.

You know what Islam has contributed to the study of Mathematics? Exactly and precisely, nothing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X