• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Official DOOM: New £50 note featuring Alan Turing goes into circulation"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

In Concorde Lounge, T5 Heathrow?
    Only if they open the hangar door.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Or lunch for MF.
    In Concorde Lounge, T5 Heathrow?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    £200+ on the weekly grocery shop for a family of five
    Or lunch for MF.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

My mum was frugal, my wife is a money waster. My fault really.
    There was a period in my life when i was making over 200K a year for a few years (thats 200K after tax). So I lost my money management discipline. I personally can go back to spending less again. But my wife doesn't seem to be able to. She got accustomed to a certain lifestyle and doesn't want to go back on a budget.
    I'd suggest the quality is better too, especially if don't mind being more seasonal/local. But we seem to have gone off on a tangent now!

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Highly recommend finding a local greengrocer or a weekly veg/fruit box if you eat healthily and want to save.
    My mum was frugal, my wife is a money waster. My fault really.
    There was a period in my life when i was making over 200K a year for a few years (thats 200K after tax). So I lost my money management discipline. I personally can go back to spending less again. But my wife doesn't seem to be able to. She got accustomed to a certain lifestyle and doesn't want to go back on a budget.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Too many UK banknote changes in recent years - proper currency like US dollar would allow old notes to be used just fine, but in the UK you have to go to bank (of England in theory) to swap them over and no guarantee it will happen, a load of crap that reduced demand for Sterling.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    The latest £50 was introduced in 1981.
    There was one in 1994 as well. An interesting list of past banknotes here (how far back do you recognise?):
    https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bank...rawn-banknotes

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

We are family of five, 3 kids, 19, 15, 10

Our grocery shop comes to about 200 a week. And i had presumed others spent even more, hence 200+ in my orginal message.

Thats not all food. Includes all the stuff we buy from the supermarket eg washing up powder, dish washer tablet, bog roll, razor blades, bin liners etc.

Wife likes to buy a lot of fruit and fruit isnt cheap.

That £200 also includes the create of beer and a couple of nice steaks i enjoy every week, so about £30 for the beer and steaks.
    So I guess 4 adults realistically. £100 for a couple would be quite decent going but I'd assume economies of scale making a meal for 5. But then teenagers might eat a LOT

Highly recommend finding a local greengrocer or a weekly veg/fruit box if you eat healthily and want to save.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Gen Y would put you around 40. Or do you mean Gen X?

You are right. Latch key kid is Gen X. But main point is not boomer. They were our parents.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    He means you'll get banned soon, Gricer

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I have three kids. They're all adults. But I'm not a boomer. Gen. Y. Self reliant, latch-key kids.

They're all doing fine and own their own homes.

Maybe you just failed.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    I would not laugh about the "millennial snowflake " thing. You know what they say about karma being a b***.
    You have children, if they are not at that stage yet, they might get soon, they'll want cars, clothes, holidays. They'll enter the workforce and realise how poor the pay is and that work is no joke.
    I have three kids. They're all adults. But I'm not a boomer. Gen. Y. Self reliant, latch-key kids.

They're all doing fine and own their own homes.

Maybe you just failed.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Words have many meanings and they change over time. You capitalised the word. Homophobe. Expect the knock on the door.
    I am part of the call-out culture now. I call out people. ) that's my thing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Call_An_Ambulance_But_Not_For_Me.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	4169387

I would not laugh about the "millennial snowflake " thing. You know what they say about karma being a b***.
    You have children, if they are not at that stage yet, they might get soon, they'll want cars, clothes, holidays. They'll enter the workforce and realise how poor the pay is and that work is no joke.

I would not be laughing just yet. I have at least flown the nest. Although to be entirely frank, sometimes I wish I haven't had to...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MillenialSnowflakeWhiner View Post
    Ironically at that point in time you were prosecuted for that, now you probably could as well be prosecuted for what you said.

Don't worry I won't tell, imagine someone reading all my rants on this forum.
    Words have many meanings and they change over time. You capitalised the word. Homophobe. Expect the knock on the door.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    We are family of five, 3 kids, 19, 15, 10
    Benny : [shrugs] I got four kids to feed.
    Douglas Quaid : So what happened to number five?
    Benny : [beat] Aw, tulip, man! You got me. I'm not even married. Now, shut up and put your ******* hands in the air!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X