• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "John Bercow next PM?"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    52% of the voting public hate him (well probably 49% after the oldest Brexidiots have died). Not a good start. He'd be less popular than Corbyn.
    I would venture to guess that even 52% of fbpe remoantards hate him.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    52% of the voting public hate him (well probably 49% after the oldest Brexidiots have died). Not a good start. He'd be less popular than Corbyn.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That doesn't at all sound like revenge? They couldn't oust him from the job so this was the best they could manage.
    They did oust him from the job, by the only means available, which was to put up an opposing candidate in the last election. He resigned rather than be replaced by a Tory candidate.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Actually he was refused a lordship on the basis of perverting parliamentary procedure, exhibiting bias in a supposedly neutral role and in the words of one MP being "an insufferable twat", among other things. .
    That doesn't at all sound like revenge? They couldn't oust him from the job so this was the best they could manage.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Bercow always seemed too full of his own importance to me. No humility = questionable integrity (in my opinion).
    Sounds like he's over qualified for the job then.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

He didn't get a peerage as direct revenge from the Tories for holding them to account.

He's clearly far too moderate to lead Labour though.
    Actually he was refused a lordship on the basis of perverting parliamentary procedure, exhibiting bias in a supposedly neutral role and in the words of one MP being "an insufferable twat", among other things. He has also changed allegiance several times over his career. His only saving grace was that he was a very good constituency MP, according to friends who lived there.

His joining Labour is a bonus for the Tories, not least because it puts Starmer in an impossible situation.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

The Speaker is supposed to relinquish party politics from their appointment on, hence they are crossbench (i.e. not party affiliates) in the Lords. Bercow breaks that convention on several levels and is the first ex-speaker not to reach the Lords. The thought of him as a leader of anything is imply ludicrous. But then again, so is the current edition of the Labour party
    He didn't get a peerage as direct revenge from the Tories for holding them to account.

He's clearly far too moderate to lead Labour though.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Bercow always seemed too full of his own importance to me. No humility = questionable integrity (in my opinion).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Tory pensions minister Guy Opperman said: "Labour are welcome to Bercow."

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

The Speaker is supposed to relinquish party politics from their appointment on, hence they are crossbench (i.e. not party affiliates) in the Lords. Bercow breaks that convention on several levels and is the first ex-speaker not to reach the Lords. The thought of him as a leader of anything is imply ludicrous. But then again, so is the current edition of the Labour party
    That's what happens if you are caught bullying people...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Is Lindsay Hoyle going to join the Tories when he retires?

Saying that Betty Boothyrod is a crossbench peer.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The Tories are cultivating their "Nasty party" image.
    They are really good at it.

Telling people about great British justice...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Is Lindsay Hoyle going to join the Tories when he retires?

Saying that Betty Boothyrod is a crossbench peer.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The Tories are cultivating their "Nasty party" image.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X