• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dark winter

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dark winter"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Yeah it's on the list... Old house!
    Nothing wrong with lead covered rubber insulated wire.

Lasts forever.

As long as you don't touch it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post

It maybe worth having a spark in to test and do an EICR bit like an MOT on your electrics.
    Yeah it's on the list... Old house!

Leave a comment:

• Scorp1
    replied

In one room, we spent months trying to figure out a really annoying flicker after fitting bright LEDs and a new LED dimmer. I changed the dimmer switch, all the bulbs, the fitting, before realising the same fitting worked fine with the same bulb and dimmer when wired up in my garage.
    Come to the conclusion there's some issue with the wiring but that means pulling up the floor. For me flickering lights are how other people feel about a ticking clock or dripping sink, so I put in some new halogens.
    It maybe worth having a spark in to test and do an EICR bit like an MOT on your electrics.
    Last edited by Scorp1; 14 June 2021, 19:13.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I might do, but that wasn't the primary problem; they flickered even when I hardwired the fitting without a switch at all, let alone a dimming one... and only in this one room. Not seen one of those before, although LED dimming switches are themselves quite complex... the one I have has several modes you can put it in.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

In one room, we spent months trying to figure out a really annoying flicker after fitting bright LEDs and a new LED dimmer. I changed the dimmer switch, all the bulbs, the fitting, before realising the same fitting worked fine with the same bulb and dimmer when wired up in my garage.
    Come to the conclusion there's some issue with the wiring but that means pulling up the floor. For me flickering lights are how other people feel about a ticking clock or dripping sink, so I put in some new halogens.
    you need a bypass load

https://www.vesternet.com/pages/apnt...ith-led-lights

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Tried LEDs in one of the lights at my gaff. Awful, awful. The landlady is going to have to splash some cash to get it work.

I bought dimmable LEDs but all they did was flicker.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Great Britten View Post
    LED = cold and clinical.

Nothing beats the incandescent bulb.
    You've bought the "cold white" ones by mistake.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Tried LEDs in one of the lights at my gaff. Awful, awful. The landlady is going to have to splash some cash to get it work.

I bought dimmable LEDs but all they did was flicker.

Leave a comment:

• Great Britten
    replied
    LED = cold and clinical.

Nothing beats the incandescent bulb.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

240V or low voltage? Hard to see how it can't be compatible unless there's a dimmer as vetran says, if it's 240V.
    But how on earth is it 420W?!
    Neghbours drilled a hole in the wall and are pinching eleccy for bitcoin mining or heating their cannabis farm?

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    It's a 240V dimmer uplighter, yeah. I was testing how much power my homelab servers were using with a plug-in power meter and checked the lamp out as my missus said the bulb I was using "used a lot". Not half.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    That was my thought too - it is lighting the bat signal?

I wonder if someone is getting Watts and Lumens mixed up. 420 lumens is about equivalent to a 40W incandescent bulb.

EDIT: Ignore that, looks like they do exist: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131641285669
    Last edited by Paralytic; 11 June 2021, 15:07.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
    It's 118mm for the main and according to multiple answers in the Argos Q&A, it isn't suitable for LED bulbs. After a new model once this halogen bulb goes.
    240V or low voltage? Hard to see how it can't be compatible unless there's a dimmer as vetran says, if it's 240V.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
    It's 118mm for the main and according to multiple answers in the Argos Q&A, it isn't suitable for LED bulbs. After a new model once this halogen bulb goes.
    oh dear, wonder why its not suitable? all my halogen floods were converted this way. Is it dimmable?

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X