• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dark winter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to find a replacement uplighter to sit behind my monitors in my office. Horrified to find the Argos one I've been using for years and have on constantly drains 420w. If anyone has any recommendations, please shout.

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
      I need to find a replacement uplighter to sit behind my monitors in my office. Horrified to find the Argos one I've been using for years and have on constantly drains 420w. If anyone has any recommendations, please shout.
      does it have a standard bulb 78 or 118mm in which case drop in led replacements are available about £6 in wilko or £3 on amazon
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's 118mm for the main and according to multiple answers in the Argos Q&A, it isn't suitable for LED bulbs. After a new model once this halogen bulb goes.

Comment

It's 118mm for the main and according to multiple answers in the Argos Q&A, it isn't suitable for LED bulbs. After a new model once this halogen bulb goes.
          oh dear, wonder why its not suitable? all my halogen floods were converted this way. Is it dimmable?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

240V or low voltage? Hard to see how it can't be compatible unless there's a dimmer as vetran says, if it's 240V.
            But how on earth is it 420W?!
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              That was my thought too - it is lighting the bat signal?

I wonder if someone is getting Watts and Lumens mixed up. 420 lumens is about equivalent to a 40W incandescent bulb.

EDIT: Ignore that, looks like they do exist: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131641285669
              Last edited by Paralytic; 11 June 2021, 15:07.

Comment

It's a 240V dimmer uplighter, yeah. I was testing how much power my homelab servers were using with a plug-in power meter and checked the lamp out as my missus said the bulb I was using "used a lot". Not half.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

240V or low voltage? Hard to see how it can't be compatible unless there's a dimmer as vetran says, if it's 240V.
                  Neghbours drilled a hole in the wall and are pinching eleccy for bitcoin mining or heating their cannabis farm?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

LED = cold and clinical.

Nothing beats the incandescent bulb.

Comment

Tried LEDs in one of the lights at my gaff. Awful, awful. The landlady is going to have to splash some cash to get it work.

I bought dimmable LEDs but all they did was flicker.

Comment

Working...
                      X