• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Auto Reply: Out of Office"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

They can force an always on camera policy for that.
    hook it up to chat-roulette and you get constant monitoring. Sorted we have a business plan.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

What a surprise, it's never your fault is it.
    I read it as a joke and thought it quite funny. Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

As I frequently didn't write them, the communication plan was devised at a corporate level and the text finely crafted by communication experts, not sure how YOU can believe it is my fault? I suppose you are just a bit of a thicky, that might explain it.

I was just the one who had to explain to people that if they had read the multitude of professional emails they had been sent they would understand why they could no longer do X.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    But businesses primarily care about control and supervision and being able to extract the most out of resources. WFH does not fly with them.
    They can force an always on camera policy for that, to make sure you are at your pc during work hours.

Some companies already require that, expect it to become more common in future.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 4 June 2021, 10:01.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    But businesses primarily care about control and supervision and being able to extract the most out of resources. WFH does not fly with them.
    "NatWest preparing for just 13% of staff to work in office full-time"

https://www.theguardian.com/business...fice-full-time

Those that keep reiterating that things will get back to how they were before March last year are either naive, or have a vested interested in getting people back into offices. Evidence is already showing otherwise.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 4 June 2021, 09:37.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You should find better users
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

If only more than 1% of people followed the instructions IT send out.

grr Users
    You should write better instructions

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I reckon about 1% of people know how to do anything other than follow the instructions IT send out. A lot of people struggle with that!

This seemed apt for the thread... some big-name tech firms have promised to let people work remotely as they see fit, but Apple is going in quite the other direction: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57342768
    If only more than 1% of people followed the instructions IT send out.

grr Users

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If you're expected to have email on your phone, which I admit is useful sometimes*, just install a different email app and then configure the notifications accordingly.
    I reckon about 1% of people know how to do anything other than follow the instructions IT send out. A lot of people struggle with that!

This seemed apt for the thread... some big-name tech firms have promised to let people work remotely as they see fit, but Apple is going in quite the other direction: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57342768

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Similarly I have a dedicated work VM as a sandbox, but most people don't know how to do such things. Phones is probably tricker since you're generally allowed to use your work phone as your phone, or expected to use you personal phone for work. I suppose you could refuse to set up work email on your phone or tell them you don't have a smartphone
    If you're expected to have email on your phone, which I admit is useful sometimes*, just install a different email app and then configure the notifications accordingly.

*useful being I wanted an afternoon in the pub but needed to be 'present' so installed apps on my phone so I could be responsive and thus give the illusion that I wasn't skiving

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    They are setting the ground for their narrative, they will bring the big guns later on and the final push would come from the immediate manager.

It would be fun to watch when people caught up in the housing frenzy will come to the realisation that the big house they have bought in a remote location is not of much use when you have to fork out extortionate train tickets / spend 2h+ commuting.

We are social beings, we like to be in the presence of other people, current situation I am sure has wrecked the mental health of many people.
    I'd actually not agree with that - what businesses primarily care about is profit (assuming cash flow is ok) - if WFH saves big bucks in rent/property and the profits are still there then the 'business' is happy. Control and supervision is a fascination of line managers who see the size of their empire as more important than the actual output of their teams.

I am skeptical that total WFH will continue, but equally I can't see total working in large offices becoming the norm again either. Businesses now know they can still operate without the need for the large, central offices so will look to reduce their cost base. They also have the risk of future lockdowns to consider and manage.

The next 2-3 years will be interesting as companies learn to operate in the 'new normal'
    Last edited by Whorty; 3 June 2021, 11:02.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Phone isn't tricker.

People need to learn to ignore calls, use different ring tones for close family and friends and put their ringer on silent over night.

Also setting up work emails on a personal phone is a security risk.
    I think you've argued against your own point Changing habits is not easy, even though it's becoming more and more accepted that notification-addiction is degrading quality of life.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Anyway, I agree with _V_ and GB, the article is a 'nudge' to make people think about going back to the office.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They are trying everything to get people back into the office.

Seen articles and comments in The Guardian and The Fail arguing that because only older middle class people have a spare room to WFH everyone should go back into the office.

With the last round of comments loads of people pointed out that:
    1. They had WFH before Covid
    2. They had managed well working from their living room, bedroom, bedsit etc because they went out during the day or after work to ensure they had a separation between work and home
    They are setting the ground for their narrative, they will bring the big guns later on and the final push would come from the immediate manager.

It would be fun to watch when people caught up in the housing frenzy will come to the realisation that the big house they have bought in a remote location is not of much use when you have to fork out extortionate train tickets / spend 2h+ commuting.

We are social beings, we like to be in the presence of other people, current situation I am sure has wrecked the mental health of many people.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Similarly I have a dedicated work VM as a sandbox, but most people don't know how to do such things. Phones is probably tricker since you're generally allowed to use your work phone as your phone, or expected to use you personal phone for work. I suppose you could refuse to set up work email on your phone or tell them you don't have a smartphone
    With unlimited calls and texts available for £6 a month I would just carry the work phone while working and a cheap private one at other times.

Saves agents phoning you at work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X