• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Now here's heroic !"

Collapse

• Gibbon
    replied
    As a recipient, I can tell you that, for me at least, the fact it was a freely given gift makes all the difference. There is some angst that some family somewhere are grieving. Even with the notional opted in, a family can still refuse. It just makes them easier to persuade if the deceased hasn't opted out.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I remember it coming up and there were a few civil liberties types who made a fuss but it wasn't widely made public.
    Strange I thought it was well advertised (well a few times a day on LBC) and celebrated the change, it was in my opinion a good choice between apathy and actual need.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

The dead have no rights in law, and in English common law no person or persons can own them - Their only lawful owner is the Earth.
    Communism lives on, in the form of the dead?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

The dead have no rights in law, and in English common law no person or persons can own them - Their only lawful owner is the Earth.

So it's hard to know what sensible legal or moral objections those civil liberties types could raise.
    The only complainant I remember was this one. Tenuous at best.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...n-opt-out-hell

It seems her argument is partly religious, in that the soul suffers and cannot pass over if death is postponed pending organ donation, and partly "I've paid my taxes, they're not having my body too".

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I remember it coming up and there were a few civil liberties types who made a fuss but it wasn't widely made public.

So it's hard to know what sensible legal or moral objections those civil liberties types could raise.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

To stop people opting out.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It already is. The law changed on 20th May 2020... I must admit I only heard about it through chats about some friends whose parents passed away with Covid. I, along with everyone else concerned had no idea either. Bit of a bad job of advertising. I'd be interested to know how many people do know.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/uk-...aw-in-england/

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I think donor registers should be opt out.
    It already is. The law changed on 20th May 2020... I must admit I only heard about it through chats about some friends who's parents passed away with Covid. I, along with everyone else concerned had no idea either. Bit of a bad job of advertising. I'd be interested to know how many people do know.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/uk-...aw-in-england/

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ... I also understand how it's difficult for families to handle the fact that their loved one is artificially kept alive to prolong organ viability.
    I see it as the body may be alive, but the person has gone. But I wouldn't criticise personally someone who felt differently.

I think donor registers should be opt out.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It's such a lovely thing for the parents to do at a time of such loss.

I am in two minds as to whether people should be automatically added to the donor register. As a "take what you want and burn the scraps" type person I don't see why it's an issue but I also understand how it's difficult for families to handle the fact that their loved one is artificially kept alive to prolong organ viability.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Indeed a sad loss to the world.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    started a topic Now here's heroic !

Now here's heroic !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-57113203

Nuff said...

Working...
X