• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sign the client is a timewaster"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

That's not the only thing that makes you 'special'
    hello darlink its still a no!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

ohh SNMP putting me above the crowd ooooh!
    I know, I hate the fecking thing. The syntax doesn't even parse categorically (when used to its full extent, which no sane person would do).

But that very example has helped me bag more than one contract!

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    1. A competency and complexity level way beyond what most management can handle.
    2. Far too much work
    If it's not working out for you, then have you considered that maybe you're not very good?
    I have considered indeed but I don't think it is the case. Usually I was among the top performers with the previous clients. I might lack some communication skills and some of the tech skills are outdated but I think there are also other factors to consider. Most of which not sure I fully understand. Hence this is a conversation that could potentially help myself and others experiencing similar circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    What do you think it is stopping them? With the new immigration policy it is free for the grabs. Previously it was slightly more difficult.
    1. A competency and complexity level way beyond what most management can handle.
    2. Far too much work
    If it's not working out for you, then have you considered that maybe you're not very good?

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

Businesses don't do that, or at least the many businesses I've worked for don't do that. Certain consultancies might if they have a vested interest in bringing in offshore skills, but UK based corporates don't.

Who is this job with?
    four letter energy provider.

Why not? What do you think it is stopping them? With the new immigration policy it is free for the grabs. Previously it was slightly more difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

They tend to be, so called generation snowflake. A lot are also very easily offended, talking with them is like a minefield. I have thick skin.

Well, I think in the very spirit of the thread this is an example of a client that does not have a role and is just doing interviews for interview's sake.
    If you have 6 stages with at least 2 days between them, you'll easily get to a month and no good resource stays on the market for that long.

People more aware of how it works please correct me but: I think that they have to build proof that they've looked for resources in UK before being able to bring someone from outside. And this is very much the case with a lot of the roles I've encountered.

They need some poor buggers to be refused for pesky reasons so they can build-up the file and bring a resource on short leash.
    Businesses don't do that, or at least the many businesses I've worked for don't do that. Certain consultancies might if they have a vested interest in bringing in offshore skills, but UK based corporates don't.

Who is this job with?

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

Are all 31 year olds such whingers, or are you an exception? If you want a job, roll up your sleeves and get on with it. If not, stop complaining.

You're a contractor. You run a company. It takes work for a company to win new business. See the interview process as a sales process, that's all. Or think like a permie and see it as a job interview.
    They tend to be, so called generation snowflake. A lot are also very easily offended, talking with them is like a minefield. I have thick skin.

Well, I think in the very spirit of the thread this is an example of a client that does not have a role and is just doing interviews for interview's sake.
    If you have 6 stages with at least 2 days between them, you'll easily get to a month and no good resource stays on the market for that long.

People more aware of how it works please correct me but: I think that they have to build proof that they've looked for resources in UK before being able to bring someone from outside. And this is very much the case with a lot of the roles I've encountered.

They need some poor buggers to be refused for pesky reasons so they can build-up the file and bring a resource on short leash.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I worked at a little chef for a while. Only evenings and weekends as I was at school at time. Didn't stay for very long, probably only about 3 or 4 months.
    about the same it was while I was at college a happy few months earning drinking vouchers and bunking off.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

ROSCOE script development.
    I can write "Grip", but not this famous one http://docs.aviacons.ru:8383/data_se...ro/int_ov.html even more obscure. Probably 20-50 people who have ever written it in anger.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    INFOMAN panel exits in HLAL

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
    I'd tell you a SNMP joke but you might not get it.
    now you're trappped!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

I'm not sure that including the 8085 assembler or the GA16-220 FORTRAN IV have ever done much though, to be sure, they're pretty obscure.

Or the HP Rocky Mountain Basic.
    ROSCOE script development.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    In my experience, the obscure technologes, such as SNMP, are especially well-worth including as these can put you above the crowd
    I'm not sure that including the 8085 assembler or the GA16-220 FORTRAN IV have ever done much though, to be sure, they're pretty obscure.

Or the HP Rocky Mountain Basic.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    Got approached by the internal hiring team from a company. Their recruitment process looks like this:

Our hiring process will take an average of 10 days:

Stage 1 - Phone Interview - 20min
    Stage 2 - Take Home Technical Challenge - 2h
    Stage 3 - Technical interview - 90 min
    Stage 4 - Planning & Delivery Interview - 60min
    Stage 5 - Meet the CTO or Engineering Manager
    Stage 6 - Meet the team

What a wonderful time to be alive.
    Personally, I think that process is way over the top for contractors that can be let go of in a blink of eye ( assuming it's a contract role).

But on the flip side as Whorty said, if you think of it as a sales process, it's not that bad. Let's say the gig is £450 a day (outside IR35, agency is getting paid £500), you work 48 weeks a year and you stay there for 36 months. For them they'll be paying out a total of £360k (exc VAT), so I can understand why they want to have a few extra stages to find someone who can do the work and is going to fit in.

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    I'd tell you a SNMP joke but you might not get it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X