• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm not saying this site is dying but"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    A lot of the information that people generally look for can be easily found when searching and first timers generally get a reponse telling them how they can use the search. I can't see a lot of people wanting to jump into contracting at the moment given the current situation with COVID and IR35.
    he who dares Rodders!

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    A lot of the information that people generally look for can be easily found when searching and first timers generally get a reponse telling them how they can use the search. I can't see a lot of people wanting to jump into contracting at the moment given the current situation with COVID and IR35.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    The site lost some incredibly intelligent, witty and successful people over the last few years.

Sasguru for example. You cannot expect to lose talent like that and stay in business.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I'm curious as to why that's happening; you don't need to post for your login cookie to be set as far as I'm aware, and it has an expiry date set a year in the future when you log in. I'll keep an eye on it, but any pointers anybody can provide as to the circumstances in which it happens would be helpful
    it's a local device issue. I have this on my laptop but not my desktop. Both Win10, both using Edge (latest).

Leave a comment:

• gizzmo
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I'm curious as to why that's happening; you don't need to post for your login cookie to be set as far as I'm aware, and it has an expiry date set a year in the future when you log in. I'll keep an eye on it, but any pointers anybody can provide as to the circumstances in which it happens would be helpful
    I'm also currently on a contract so v busy with work so i tend to view the forums maybe once or twice a day - and don't really post often - but only ever really log in if i want to post - so 98% of the time I would appear as a guest.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    yeah the "topic is closed" message now fixed

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by gizzmo View Post
    The forum times you out quite frequently so if you are not posting very frequently you will appear as a guestby default. I tend to only re-log in if I have a comment to post - so most of the time i am just browsing and because I have been timed out I appear as a guest rather than as myself.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I think TPD presents many challenges due to its ever expanding girth
    Indeed. The occasional blank page on TPD is due to the Thanks/Likes plugin consuming all available memory when it tries to deal with TPD, though that's something vBulletin itself also manages to do in other places.

In fact, there's a special check deep within the forum code for a thread being bigger than a certain size, and if it is the code path that would attempt to cache various bits of data is skipped, precisely because it would cause an out of memory crash. (There's a comment in the code indicating that this check was included because of a customer site that had a thread with over 600,000 posts, so TPD has some leeway yet.)

This means that the bigger a thread is, the slower it is, because the software relies on its internal cacheing in a lot of ways for performance. But at least it doesn't crash.

I'll find a fix for the plugin even if it means rewriting the damn thing, and I've got some notions for how big threads can still get at least some speedups based on usage patterns

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    Guests see every thread as being closed.

At least i do when not logged in.

Why would they come back?
    That should be fixed now (without breaking the intended fix for the way closed threads looked as if you could reply when you were logged in).

Leave a comment:

• gizzmo
    replied
    The forum times you out quite frequently so if you are not posting very frequently you will appear as a guestby default. I tend to only re-log in if I have a comment to post - so most of the time i am just browsing and because I have been timed out I appear as a guest rather than as myself.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    every thread does show as Closed when not logged in, which makes it look like we have power mad admins.. Oh, hold on..
    Oh they are all power mad, but if you want to see real power mad mods (or power mod mads as I typed it originally), try the vintage radio site.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...er=desc&page=2

That lot are absolutely bonkers.

I got banned for mentioning ebay.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    500 concurrent users is dead?

Whilst a lot of comments in here might be right for "General" - this is a bloody good forum for its "proper" subs, Accounting /Legal etc .

I always point new contractors here and they ALWAYS follow up to say thanks, it's helped. If it was tulipe, or just "OK" - I doubt they'd send messages back or make sure they tell me in the office that it helped.

It still helps me, tbh, but I'm not all that clued up with regs etc and this site usually provides me with an "In a nutshell" view.

But yeah, lots of bugs since the upgrade - every thread does show as Closed when not logged in, which makes it look like we have power mad admins.. Oh, hold on..
    500 concurrent uses is usually 450 bots from google et al....

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    500 concurrent users is dead?

Whilst a lot of comments in here might be right for "General" - this is a bloody good forum for its "proper" subs, Accounting /Legal etc .

I always point new contractors here and they ALWAYS follow up to say thanks, it's helped. If it was tulipe, or just "OK" - I doubt they'd send messages back or make sure they tell me in the office that it helped.

It still helps me, tbh, but I'm not all that clued up with regs etc and this site usually provides me with an "In a nutshell" view.

But yeah, lots of bugs since the upgrade - every thread does show as Closed when not logged in, which makes it look like we have power mad admins.. Oh, hold on..

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    I'm working harder than usual, outside gigs know they have the upper hand and are getting their money's worth.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    OK, theory #5 : It's quieter than usual here because everyone who would normally post is in contract and as busy as a one-armed paperhanger!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X