• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Official IR35 Prediction Thread - IR35 Reform Day"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    JtB retired in 1963.
    Well he's been retired again for a year so plenty of time to count his pennies.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    JtB retired in 1963.

Leave a comment:

• Andy4819
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

I never went away. I've been too busy counting my fortune to post here for entertainment.
    SO John, you found another place to frequent Thought it was a bit quieter on 'that other site' ...
    Seems like you are giving some stick out and riling up the ranks :-) Keep up the good work
    Have you FINALLY retired ? I guess so with that handle

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Plenty outside roles for talented contractors. This only affects bum on seat permacontractors, with mediocre skills, like northernladuk, who is happy to accept blanket bans etc. Im guessing in two years things are back to normal and almost all roles will be outside.
    LOL... if that's what you want to think.

Not so sure about the last sentence though. They most certainly aren't in the public sector. Definitely more outsides than when it originally hit but no where near what it was before. Many orgs will find they can live with the people they get in and will just plod on I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Plenty outside roles for talented contractors. This only affects bum on seat permacontractors, with mediocre skills, like northernladuk, who is happy to accept blanket bans etc. Im guessing in two years things are back to normal and almost all roles will be outside.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

I never went away. I've been too busy counting my fortune to post here for entertainment.
    That has to go down as your shortest post ever. Well done

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Crash yer bike, John.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Oh dear. Who let you back in?

Leave a comment:

• Andy4819
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I think the delay was a mistake in terms of "compliance" - I'm in contract (outside, with a bank) and while I'm not paying HUGE attention to the market I'm still getting outside roles sent over.

Contrast that to last year, when I was looking for work in Feb/Mar and it seemed that the sky had collapsed!

So, Option 2 I think. There's definitely going to be some damage, don't get me wrong, but I think clients are now positioned to be a lot more sensible about their decisions and are coming round to how to ensure their contractors are outside.

Also, if WFH continues, that'll really take the sting out of Inside roles. Personally, for me, if I don't need to travel then even an inside role on an average rate is a far better prospect than permiedom
    Has anyone checked how the market is now with regards to the 'blanket' bans imposed last year? It seems that all the Banks took that approach. If they are now realizing that it was a mistake, maybe other markets will start to open up again. May take a couple of years to settle down though ....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

agreed, and dividends for close companies will be taxed at 20%, with the current allowance removed.
    Oh dear. Who let you back in?

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Once HMRC starts to see that their tax take post IR35 private sector rollout has not actually increased I am concerned that they will go into a red rage and start taxing everything that moves.
    agreed, and dividends for close companies will be taxed at 20%, with the current allowance removed.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    HMRC will start taxing everything that moves.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

they're not going to know the true impact on tax gains until at least Summer 2022. Not that that will stop them calling it a success.
    They're probably never going to know the true impact, as there are too many moving parts. IIRC, the OBR rated the estimates "very uncertain" and the pandemic essentially destroys any baseline. Nevertheless, as you say, it will be declared an overwhelming success and no one will GAF either way.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Once HMRC starts to see that their tax take post IR35 private sector rollout has not actually increased I am concerned that they will go into a red rage and start taxing everything that moves.
    they're not going to know the true impact on tax gains until at least Summer 2022. Not that that will stop them calling it a success.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X