• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "40 year fixed rate mortgage"

Collapse

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    So 5.55% for 40 years, with 10% deposit and total safety of brick and mortar that will certainly double in price over 40 years.

As a BTL mortgage that would be amazing, all the free, leveraged equity gain. Young people will retire like kings with 10 or 20 of these in the South East.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    It's take off that could be worse - if something crashes and it's full of jet fuel...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Hope you checked airport landing approaches...
    It's take off that could be worse - if something crashes and it's full of jet fuel...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Shhh, don't talk Birmingham up just yet. Wait until I move into my new Solihull house then we can big up the area and push prices up nicely
    Hope you checked airport landing approaches...

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied

That's my understanding, but I'm not sure if borrowing multiples will remain the same. It's a good point now I mull on it further
    If you wait a bit longer, we might see DFS-style "4 years interest free with nothing to pay for the first year" mortgages.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

You mean, for a given income, they will let you borrow more with the 40-year than a 25-year?
    That's my understanding, but I'm not sure if borrowing multiples will remain the same. It's a good point now I mull on it further

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    so not only economy is going the way of japanese zombie economy but the mortgages will also be longer like japan

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    But then you'd be comparing apples with oranges in terms of products as the size of borrowing is likely to be different for the different terms.
    You mean, for a given income, they will let you borrow more with the 40-year than a 25-year?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I think jayn200 meant that you could get a 25-year mortgage, with a lower interest rate than 5.5%, and that might work out cheaper per month.
    Yes you probably could, especially with interest rates where they are at the moment.

But then you'd be comparing apples with oranges in terms of products as the size of borrowing is likely to be different for the different terms.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Then they certainly can’t afford 40 years of this debt slavery - they should move to Bham where real estate is reasonably priced and it will only require them to have 39 year mortgage
    Shhh, don't talk Birmingham up just yet. Wait until I move into my new Solihull house then we can big up the area and push prices up nicely

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

utter rubbish.

The monthly payments will be lower.
    Take a £100k mortgage with 5.5% interest, payable over 40 years = £515.77 p.m.
    over 25 years £614.09 p.m.
    I think jayn200 meant that you could get a 25-year mortgage, with a lower interest rate than 5.5%, and that might work out cheaper per month.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

And total amount payable over 40 years, £247,570, versus £184,226 on a 25 year term.

But, I'd agree its good that the market is offering this product, especially with the ability to overpay and the flexibility to exit.
    What it allows is someone to minimise their monthly payments in the short term. I can't see anyone being on this for 40 years. It's crazy.
    Longest mortgage I ever had was 3 years. Interest rates are not going to do an early 90s (15%) again for the next decade at least, if ever.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Then they certainly can’t afford 40 years of this debt slavery - they should move to Bham where real estate is reasonably priced and it will only require them to have 39 year mortgage
    If there's an influx of people to B'ham, surely prices will go up and that year shaved off will become an extra 5. But it's a sterling effort to get your flat to increase in value.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    The people who take out this mortgage are not the people who will spend £100/month on two meals out.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

100 quid difference is one OK restaurant (outside of London) for two per month, with just one bottle of house wine

Better have a 2nd job than wait 40 years to “own” your place
    The people who take out this mortgage are not the people who will spend £100/month on two meals out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X