• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40 year fixed rate mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40 year fixed rate mortgage

Not a bad option in some ways - higher interest but the option to fix for a long term with no penalties for early repayment is the sort of product missing from the UK market

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...o-deposit-loan

EDIT: and it's portable too
    Last edited by ladymuck; 10 March 2021, 19:25.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Not a bad option in some ways - higher interest but the option to fix for a long term with no penalties for early repayment is the sort of product missing from the UK market

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...o-deposit-loan
    would work well for career public sector people. Retire after 40 years with no mortgage and a thumping great pension.
    Wonder how they'll get a 10% deposit before that though.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

would work well for career public sector people. Retire after 40 years with no mortgage and a thumping great pension.
      Bank of Mum and Dad, like everyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Rishi, that’s how

Comment

So 5.55% for 40 years, with 10% deposit and total safety of brick and mortar that will certainly double in price over 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            So 5.55% for 40 years, with 10% deposit and total safety of brick and mortar that will certainly double in price over 40 years.
            And you can move with it, make overpayments and settle early without penalty. I actually think it's a good product.

The main downside is the amount of interest you'd pay over 40 years compared to a more traditional 20-25 year mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              And you can move with it, make overpayments and settle early without penalty. I actually think it's a good product.
              It's a great product if BoE rates go up to 5% like in the normal times, but that ain't happening.

40 years is bonkers anyway, who'd qualify for it, 20 year olds, or will it be left to ones children like they had to do in Japan when they went through the same tulip the West is going througn now? It's Japanese scenario now.
              Last edited by AtW; 10 March 2021, 20:24.

Comment

Are interest only mortgages still an option? If they allow over payment, that's the way we went and cleared our mortgage pretty sharpish. Was ideal for me as a contractor ... Mrs W paid the monthly interest during the year, I threw a lump sum in from my divs at the end of the year.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Mortgages? INKSPE.

(Yes, I've got one )
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Mortgages? INKSPE.

(Yes, I've got one )
                    I don't have one

(I rent)

Comment

Working...
                    X