• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: eBay auctions

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "eBay auctions"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    My parents used to collect china.

Ebay took the fun (and money) out of the market as there was no need to purchase the item you've spent ages hunting for in antique markets and fairs. Something else suitably interesting would appear the following week.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Crazy bidding is a feature of all auctions but I'd have thought it more so in real auction houses where you can eyeball your opponent. Maybe I'm just old...

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    .. as back in 2012 I put up an auction to go on a (heterosexual) "date" with my good self. Obviously for a laugh.
    It got a bid!
    From my mate Jim.
    For £0.01
    with free postage!
    and he won!
    See what I mean about people paying too much.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post
    Quite a number of items went for more than the new price
    Yes, I have seen that. In many cases people could have bought the same item cheaper on eBay through a fixed price listing.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If that sort of thing is going on then it may be because the seller has someone bidding to push the price up for them. I've occasionally used it to buy and sell and haven't had that happen. If something goes higher than I'm willing to pay then I just stop bidding.
    I don't think so, necessarily, it's just some kind of auction fever that takes over inexperienced bidders. I sold a bunch of stuff I didn't need any more quite a few years ago on eBay (mostly used fishing lures), and the bidding on some of it was crazy at the end. Quite a number of items went for more than the new price, and these were most definitely used. It also wasn't the case that they were rare, or impossible to buy new any more.
    The best way to use ebay for buying is to keep a level head, set a maximum bid, and don't worry too much if you don't get it. Sooner or later you might get a bargain. I don't know if sniping tools are still a thing, but years ago I used to use one to buy, the idea being that it fires in a bid with just a few seconds of the auction remaining - that was quite effective.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Item did not match description

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Humans, are human after all - this type of behaviour is to be expected.

And it can go the other way too.

.. as back in 2012 I put up an auction to go on a (heterosexual) "date" with my good self. Obviously for a laugh.
    It got a bid!
    From my mate Jim.
    For £0.01
    with free postage!
    and he won!

But then my account got banned on there for selling "sexual services" or some such guff.
    Grrrr!!
    poor feedback ?

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Humans, are human after all - this type of behaviour is to be expected.

And it can go the other way too.

It got a bid!
    From my mate Jim.
    For £0.01
    with free postage!
    and he won!

But then my account got banned on there for selling "sexual services" or some such guff.
    Grrrr!!

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If that sort of thing is going on then it may be because the seller has someone bidding to push the price up for them.
    I did wonder about that.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    If that sort of thing is going on then it may be because the seller has someone bidding to push the price up for them. I've occasionally used it to buy and sell and haven't had that happen. If something goes higher than I'm willing to pay then I just stop bidding.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    started a topic eBay auctions

eBay auctions

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I've found them to be bonkers.

People seem more interested in winning the auctions than paying a sensible price. I've seen stuff going for silly money as people race to outbid each other.

The only stuff I've been able to buy at a reasonable price is when it's either fixed price or you can make an offer.

Is it just another form of gambling I wonder.

Working...
X