• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bendy screens finally useful?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

They have had roll-up books for a long time, they're called scrolls.
    Have to make sure you untick the hardback option when you order one though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I'm a luddite and I like real books
    They have had roll-up books for a long time, they're called scrolls.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    This is brilliant and very practical, love it.

Although you couldn't put a screen protector or case on these devices.
    I'm sure someone will invent a rollable screen protector

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I gave up chasing tech many years ago but I do think this is type of tech is a game changer.
    Not so much not chasing tech, as having no pressing need to upgrade anymore - likewise PCs and laptops, to some extent. I'm still using a ten year old laptop when I need it, does most of what I need just fine. Phones have matured to the extent that new ones haven't really had a compelling upgrade sell for a few years now, outside of a slightly better camera or slightly faster processor. If you just make phone calls, browse the web and email, and take the odd picture, then any budget Android form the last 5 years will do the job. I'm not sure what it would take for me to drop a grand on a phone again, but probably more than a bendy screen.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I know there are lots of use cases for a bigger screen. None of them apply to me, that's all. I don't watch TV on my phone (I have a 47" TV for that), I don't read books on my phone (I have books for that), I don't game on my phone (I have a desktop PC for that, although I do have a couple of timewasters installed and haven't gamed properly in years). I do use the web on my phone but only if I don't have my laptop to hand, such as when I'm out and about.

I have everything I need to do all I need so I don't need a tablet.
    I'm somewhat similar but we are a tiny minority and are the people that would be quite happy with the phone we've had four years (I'm on an S9 and can't think why I would need to upgrade) so no one cares about us. 'Normal' use nowadays would be greatly enhanced with this sliding screen and I am 100% certain if I (and possibly you) got one we'd never go back. If nothing else it's gonna be a game changer as my eye sight deteriorates.

I gave up chasing tech many years ago but I do think this is type of tech is a game changer.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

A rolled up screen is what I've long thought would be the end game for manufacturers. The question is will it ever be feasible to be produced at a price point balancing performance, battery life, features and aesthetics? It might be a while yet.
    To be fair, you are right, but there is a huge market out there that will pay for the new stuff regardless of any of those common sense factors. It could cost three times the amount, only last a year and be next to no use but if you put an Apple stamp on the back they'll be queuing for weeks for it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

Presumably you still have a 21 inch TV?

There are lots of use cases for having a larger screen. I would take a tablet over a phone for almost any application - watching video, reading books, gaming and just using the web for starters.
    I know there are lots of use cases for a bigger screen. None of them apply to me, that's all. I don't watch TV on my phone (I have a 47" TV for that), I don't read books on my phone (I have books for that), I don't game on my phone (I have a desktop PC for that, although I do have a couple of timewasters installed and haven't gamed properly in years). I do use the web on my phone but only if I don't have my laptop to hand, such as when I'm out and about.

I have everything I need to do all I need so I don't need a tablet.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    This is very cool. I'd have one. I struggle to determine a use case for having a tablet but very occasionally a slightly bigger screen would be useful.
    Presumably you still have a 21 inch TV?

There are lots of use cases for having a larger screen. I would take a tablet over a phone for almost any application - watching video, reading books, gaming and just using the web for starters.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's a very clever idea. I thought the folding phone was always gonna be a no go for obvious reasons but this is genius. The screen is going last much better being rolled and the motor moving in and out is very cool indeed.

Very easy to see how that could work in real life. Love it. You can imagine the next step is one that completely curls away so could be the width of two or three pencils when folded. Like a scroll.

Love it.
    A rolled up screen is what I've long thought would be the end game for manufacturers. The question is will it ever be feasible to be produced at a price point balancing performance, battery life, features and aesthetics? It might be a while yet.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by hobnob View Post

My iPad screen is roughly the same size as a "standard" IT textbook (e.g. anything from O'Reilly or Cisco Press). So, if I get an electronic copy of the book, I can read one page at a time without zooming or scrolling.
    I'm a luddite and I like real books

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    This is very cool. I'd have one. I struggle to determine a use case for having a tablet but very occasionally a slightly bigger screen would be useful.
    My iPad screen is roughly the same size as a "standard" IT textbook (e.g. anything from O'Reilly or Cisco Press). So, if I get an electronic copy of the book, I can read one page at a time without zooming or scrolling.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Foldable seems more practical to me w/r to ease of use, durability, power consumption, ease of manufacturing etc.

I fear it is one of those things that is "too clever by half", unless they were using this purely to promote the brand, in which case it is just clever enough.

Leave a comment:

• FreewheelinFranklin
    replied
    Its pretty elegant and avoids the crease issue that I'm sure will affect lifetime of folding screens, however... I can't help but think , is it really necessary?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    This is brilliant and very practical, love it.

Although you couldn't put a screen protector or case on these devices.
    Maybe possible to have a fold over case that clips to one side and you can keep it covered up in the phone size, which is when you're most likely to have it in your pocket / handbag.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X