• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bendy screens finally useful?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendy screens finally useful?

Oppo's expanding phone can grow and shrink on demand

If they can get this to production, I think it could really be a game-changer. This is what I've been waiting for about 15 years.
    It's quite magical to watch the video, I really recommend it... something like watching SpaceX's reusable rocket landings almost.

Foldable is a joke, could this be for real?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I quite like that, also solves the problem of bend radius in the screen in an unobtrusive way.

I don't agree that foldable is going to be a joke long term. Current tech, maybe, but I can see the merits of it. Personally I'd like a phone with the same size (unfolded) as now, but in a smaller package. Will have to be thinner for that to work comfortably, but I imagine we'll get there. I also wouldn't mind two separate screens, if they can get it down to a micro-bezel (like the Sony wall "bricks"), which should allow for a neater hinge.

Comment

I am unsure if they can get a clam-shell sort of setup as thin as a current phone, which it probably needs to be for mass adoption. There's not a lot of space in a phone with current battery limitations, and surely double the screen means you need double the battery.

Nice to see some progress finally being made after 2 decades of promises though whichever way they go.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Maybe half current thickness (= current thickness when folded) is a little unrealistic in the short term, but I'd take something a bit thicker with a fully closing hinge. One big benefit would be no need to for a case, as the screen would be protected when folded. My case is at least half as thick as my current phone, if not more.

Comment

That's a very clever idea. I thought the folding phone was always gonna be a no go for obvious reasons but this is genius. The screen is going last much better being rolled and the motor moving in and out is very cool indeed.

Very easy to see how that could work in real life. Love it. You can imagine the next step is one that completely curls away so could be the width of two or three pencils when folded. Like a scroll.

Love it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is brilliant and very practical, love it.

Although you couldn't put a screen protector or case on these devices.

Comment

This is very cool. I'd have one. I struggle to determine a use case for having a tablet but very occasionally a slightly bigger screen would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
                This is brilliant and very practical, love it.

Although you couldn't put a screen protector or case on these devices.
                Maybe possible to have a fold over case that clips to one side and you can keep it covered up in the phone size, which is when you're most likely to have it in your pocket / handbag.

Comment

Its pretty elegant and avoids the crease issue that I'm sure will affect lifetime of folding screens, however... I can't help but think , is it really necessary?

Comment

Foldable seems more practical to me w/r to ease of use, durability, power consumption, ease of manufacturing etc.

I fear it is one of those things that is "too clever by half", unless they were using this purely to promote the brand, in which case it is just clever enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X