• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "They'll nick anything"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Just pulled them up, or actually half-inched them?

If they were just pulled up then maybe some rustic type objected to a plant whose leaves are toxic - Just one or two leaves contain enough cyanide to kill a horse!

Ditto privet and yew, and in fact any of this lot : Plants Toxic to Horses

It's a wonder any of the brutes manage to survive!
    Maybe their riders should keep them under control when they take them out?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

If they were just pulled up then maybe some rustic type objected to a plant whose leaves are toxic - Just one or two leaves contain enough cyanide to kill a horse!

Maybe they can detect a plant that is disadvantageous to their health and so avoid mindlessly eating something that could kill them? Many animals (including humans) are able to do that...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Sorry yes they were nicked. And not in an area horses are prone to munch There's loads of established yew and laurel around already, maybe they all died.

If horses are that susceptible to cyanide how come we can feed them apples, when the pips contain small amounts?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Would y'loike yor drive paved Sir, I can give ya a gud proice?

qh

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I meant to post this, glad someone else remembered

I planted a small row of laurels on my boundary last spring, against a quiet country road. Maybe 6 2' plants which cost me about £3 each. The next morning, some bugger had pulled them all up.

Last edited by OwlHoot; 5 March 2021, 10:47.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

That's what I thought. I was amazed anyone even noticed they were there.
    They're doing quite well now, look lovely along my fence line

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

That's a lot of effort for £3 per plant.
    That's what I thought. I was amazed anyone even noticed they were there.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I planted a small row of laurels on my boundary last spring, against a quiet country road. Maybe 6 2' plants which cost me about £3 each. The next morning, some bugger had pulled them all up.
    That's a lot of effort for £3 per plant.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    In my old childhood neck of the woods manhole covers are frequently nicked and the metal sold as scrap. Always makes an interesting drive when going back to see my Mom and suddenly there's a gaping hole in the road!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    We get a lot of this over neck of the woods but not to that scale. Isn't unheard of for someone to put a post on the local community facebook site that 4 or 5 slabs have been removed from their path. Same general consensus is they are taken to fit a job, probably to replace a load that got stolen

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I know Storrington. Most of it is rough as old nails.

It does look like a nick to order of 'aged' slabs.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The paving slabs don't look in good condition.

They must have been stolen to order to fit an existing garden/drive.

Leave a comment:

• jainnode
    started a topic They'll nick anything

They'll nick anything

dear, oh dear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-56268078

Working...
X