• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Men's annoying habits"

Collapse

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Oh I'm very polite to the staff. Half of them went to school with my kids.

I'm less patient with the unwashed proletariat who stand there staring gormlessly at the cheese aisle while I wait to pluck a pungent soft cheese from the shelves.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Not in my local Waitrose. If the sun's out I often pick up a free coffee and a free newspaper and head to the park.
    Ahh you are one of the old gits who elbows me out if the way in my local Waitrose.

I always feel sorry for the mostly teenage/20-something staff.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

In all honesty Waitrose have gone down hill. They have an identity crisis; they don't know whether to go cut-price or upmarket plus the free coffee has disappeared along with customers.
    Not in my local Waitrose. If the sun's out I often pick up a free coffee and a free newspaper and head to the park.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

In London terms that could be another country ... so I'm pleased to hear your part of London hasn't been spoiled yet
    This is the kind of thing they have been up to -

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/04/lidl-opens-central-london-store-tottenham-court-road/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/new-aldi-local-stores-coming-20071665

Obviously store expansions stopped in 2020 for obvious reasons...

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    My nearest Lidl is 1.5 miles away (Shepherds Bush) and the nearest Aldi is 3 miles away (Kilburn)
    In London terms that could be another country ... so I'm pleased to hear your part of London hasn't been spoiled yet

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    My nearest Lidl is 1.5 miles away (Shepherds Bush) and the nearest Aldi is 3 miles away (Kilburn)

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They have Aldis and even a Lidl in richer areas of London now. It is very funny to have your richer friends and associates telling you how cheap and good the salmon tastes.
    WHAT?!?!? FFS, I leave London for a few years and it all goes to pot! What is the world coming to?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Well that's one less poor person in my way when I next go to Waitrose

Never been to an Aldi so I'll take your word for that.
    They have Aldis and even a Lidl in richer areas of London now. It is very funny to have your richer friends and associates telling you how cheap and good the salmon tastes.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I often do, but I'm careful not to look sweaty and agitated and mumble verses from the Koran!
    Well, just not all three at the same time

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Never leave the rucksack zip partially open with RJ45 cables hanging out.
    I often do, but I'm careful not to look sweaty and agitated and mumble verses from the Koran!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Yeah but a puff of smoke has been inside the rather unattractive person smoking.
    To be fair, so has the surrounding air. It just isn't so visible. Ladymuck is right - It's nearby breathers who are the problem!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Only brown people with rucksacks are terrorists. Doubly so if they have a beard. Audible ticking or visible wires is an optional extra but is a rather gauche overkill of the asthetic.
    Never leave the rucksack zip partially open with RJ45 cables hanging out.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post
    Waitrose is heavily overrated IMO. I don't think the quality of the food is any better than the finest/taste the difference ranges at less esteemed outlets, and no certainly no better than Aldi (meat and cheese in particular). Also our local Waitrose is almost entirely filled with pensioners, just about the most annoying demographic to share a shop with.
    Well that's one less poor person in my way when I next go to Waitrose

Never been to an Aldi so I'll take your word for that.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I’d feel pretty relieved actually because that would mean they are not terrorists...
    Only brown people with rucksacks are terrorists. Doubly so if they have a beard. Audible ticking or visible wires is an optional extra but is a rather gauche overkill of the asthetic.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You forgot the idiots (mostly male) who get on the tube with said large rucksack and block the doorway even though the carriage is practically empty
    I’d feel pretty relieved actually because that would mean they are not terrorists...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X