• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "YouTube and Gmail both down"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Guess what the costs will be like in 5 years time when we have sold all our servers and converted the server room into an executive dining room.
    Doesn't matter as the accountant who worked that out will be gone and ripping off another company.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    *.avsvmcloud.com is the file you should all be searching for if using SW.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Cloud isn't necessarily cheaper either
    Guess what the costs will be like in 5 years time when we have sold all our servers and converted the server room into an executive dining room.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Clouds are fluffy though.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I wish people would understand that the cloud is someone else's badly managed computer.

Everyone is running towards it but what happens when these outages occur daily when accountants continue to overrule techies.
    Cloud isn't necessarily cheaper either

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I think clientCo are in the process of signing up with FireEye

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    SolarWinds is a network tool that facilitates a range of services, such as the polling of devices to check configuration changes and then log them iteratively somewhere. It has a large range of addons but is considered a poor tool for the job in a modern context.

The main issue is that many companies have had the software for a decade or longer and see no reason to retire it. Companies that started in the cloud or have moved completely to serving from cloud services are very unlikely to have any form of SolarWinds running that requires patching.

The list I have seen has a very large number of companies that have been hacked through malware packaged by SolarWinds, unknowingly to them, by what is thought to have the hallmarks and evidence of Russian state sponsored hackers. This could be one of the most widespread attacks for public and private companies ever seen and details are continually emerging.

It's safe to say that if I was a betting person I would put the money on Google being among one of SolarWinds' customers, as they still run a lot of kit on premises in datacenters and have been around since the dot com boom in some form or another.

It is worth remembering that it is also very likely that the number of public entities and private companies currently sitting with an affected patch from Solarwinds from many months ago is going to be very high. That malware may already have been used to either spread, after initiating connection with the outside world and a CAC (command and control) server, or it may have been customised to automatically try various paths to infecting other services within the company networks to propagate. The latter is more common, as this avoids triggering suspicious firewall rules and deep packet inspection that is suspicious of unusual activity. The worst case scenario is that the outside world communication with the malware was via SolarWinds patching servers for months, and this traffic will not have been marked as suspicious by almost all DPI services.

In the coming days the view of this could increase so much that it is likely that most SolarWinds customers are infected and have had information stolen. Disinfecting a client of the other malware/intrusions introduced as a result of the initial hack via SolarWinds is almost impossible without shutting up shop and starting again from ground zero.

We could be witnessing one of the biggest hacks in history. As many US core public services have been impacted, including intelligence, it is an extremely bad outcome.

Enjoy your cat videos.
    I had the "pleasure" of SolarWinds about 10 years ago.
    It was nasty and crap back then. I am willing to bet a tenner that not much has changed in 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    They posted a status message on Google Docs… oh, hang on

(But seriously folks, the other week AWS had a serious outage in one of their services, and the service status dashboard relied on that service, so they couldn't tell anybody what was going on with the serious outage )

I wish people would understand that the cloud is someone else's badly managed computer.

Everyone is running towards it but what happens when these outages occur daily when accountants continue to overrule techies.

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    If FireEye, that have architecture at the level of the US intelligence agencies, have been compromized by this simple hack then it is fair to say that anybody who works in Security or a Network team here, or leads one, will be busy over the festive season resolving this.

Just removing SolarWinds in entirety isn't enough. Every piece of kit requires inspected for code changes, config changes, while triple checking firewall logs and all Security apparatus in each company.

Time to up the day rate.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    SolarWinds is a network tool that facilitates a range of services, such as the polling of devices to check configuration changes and then log them iteratively somewhere. It has a large range of addons but is considered a poor tool for the job in a modern context.

The main issue is that many companies have had the software for a decade or longer and see no reason to retire it. Companies that started in the cloud or have moved completely to serving from cloud services are very unlikely to have any form of SolarWinds running that requires patching.

The list I have seen has a very large number of companies that have been hacked through malware packaged by SolarWinds, unknowingly to them, by what is thought to have the hallmarks and evidence of Russian state sponsored hackers. This could be one of the most widespread attacks for public and private companies ever seen and details are continually emerging.

It's safe to say that if I was a betting person I would put the money on Google being among one of SolarWinds' customers, as they still run a lot of kit on premises in datacenters and have been around since the dot com boom in some form or another.

It is worth remembering that it is also very likely that the number of public entities and private companies currently sitting with an affected patch from Solarwinds from many months ago is going to be very high. That malware may already have been used to either spread, after initiating connection with the outside world and a CAC (command and control) server, or it may have been customised to automatically try various paths to infecting other services within the company networks to propagate. The latter is more common, as this avoids triggering suspicious firewall rules and deep packet inspection that is suspicious of unusual activity. The worst case scenario is that the outside world communication with the malware was via SolarWinds patching servers for months, and this traffic will not have been marked as suspicious by almost all DPI services.

In the coming days the view of this could increase so much that it is likely that most SolarWinds customers are infected and have had information stolen. Disinfecting a client of the other malware/intrusions introduced as a result of the initial hack via SolarWinds is almost impossible without shutting up shop and starting again from ground zero.

We could be witnessing one of the biggest hacks in history. As many US core public services have been impacted, including intelligence, it is an extremely bad outcome.

Enjoy your cat videos.
    Solarwinds wasn't that good when I was using it 20-odd years ago...

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    This is an intelligence war.
    We're doomed ..... doomed ....

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied

Enjoy your cat videos.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Time for someone to create a new search engine.

I have heard there is a squirrel p0rn search engine

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Time for someone to create a new search engine.

I read Search was the one bit that didn't break?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    "Google has been contacted for comment, but one spokesperson said they were unable to access their email." - Google outage: YouTube, Docs and Gmail knocked offline - BBC News

Leave a comment:

Working...
X