• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sockies

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sockies"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    LondonPM1 seems to know alot about AtW doesn't he?

Well Shacks got a permaban at last. Not the last today hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
    My explanation is as follows - Not anti contractors just mean ones
    And yet you agreed with Shackattack that yes, it's your experience too that there are an inordinate amount of anti-contractors on here ....

Originally posted by Shackattack View Post
    There seems to be an inordinate amount of anti contractors on here, which given this is a contractors forum seems a bit of a contradiction, question is are these guys being paid to push anti contractor sentiment? Wouldn't surprise me.
    Yes its my experience as well - I generally done even bother with general anymore

It worse than the wild west mixed with Iraq. Some people here are truly mental I ve no clue how they can do a job. I wouldnt employ them running a tobacconist kiosk

You have stated many times that people are sockies which is just a euphemism for someone else in disguise.
    Not many times, but a few recently. I've not been on a forum before with so much trolling and sockies so the concept is actually quite new to me.

I was convinced that you, Shackattack and another who's name I can't be bothered to look up now are one and the same. Can probably add Hugebrain to that too.
    Last edited by Whorty; 21 September 2020, 19:36.

Leave a comment:

• LondonPM1
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    And yet you're constantly harping on about CUK being full of anti-contractors ......

You're doing well at being wrong today - I've never accused anyone of being ATW, in disguise or otherwise.

Feel free to come up with some more crap, should you so desire
    My explanation is as follows - Not anti contractors just mean ones
    I think the old folk dont want the young ones to take their jobs! Its a bit of a old boys club like cambridge or eaton is. So there is always this pretence that they are far superior

Dont worry though - Time usually fixes that
    You have stated many times that people are sockies which is just a euphemism for someone else in disguise.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I think you will find most people here are genuine and decent and here because they are / want to be / or were contractors.
    And yet you're constantly harping on about CUK being full of anti-contractors ......

Its your wild imagination and excitement that everyone is Atw in disguise - I m afraid to tell you thats not true and your fantasy should be put at rest
    You're doing well at being wrong today - I've never accused anyone of being ATW, in disguise or otherwise.

Feel free to come up with some more crap, should you so desire

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Some people have been allowed back because they begged admin, and promised to behave.

Sockie banning is somewhat more problematical. Banning someone for a day, or even for months, is rather easier. It tends to be reasonably clear that these posters are who they say they are. And if we screw up (I know, hard to imagine), it's easy to reverse. A permaban of someone who is relatively new is not simple to reverse if a mistake is made. And while it's easy for a member to demand that someone they suspect of being a sockie be permabanned, it's not quite as easy when you're responsible for making the decision.

There have been cases where "everyone" knew an account as a sockie, but we did receive evidence from them of their genuineness.

Anyway, sockie accounts have never been disallowed. Only if they cause irritation (to the mods, mainly) or egregious trouble. Some people are rather more delicate little flowers than others...

Leave a comment:

• LondonPM1
    replied
    Inside or outside IR35

You are right and for most they are ignored, but when we start to lose decent posters because of the trolls and sockies then surely that is not good for CUK?

Debate and heated but controlled arguments is fine, but some of these trolls are here ONLY to argue and have nothing of value to add. If this is also a user that has already been banned then surely a ban is a ban?
    I think you will find most people here are genuine and decent and here because they are / want to be / or were contractors.

Its your wild imagination and excitement that everyone is Atw in disguise - I m afraid to tell you thats not true and your fantasy should be put at rest

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    What about forgiveness and repentness. Some people might have changed and others might not have the wisdom of some of our courageous leaders like old Greg and other celebrities.

But with patience fortitude perseverance and mentor ship from the established fearless posters here these young buds will flourish into able younger versions of themselves

Alternatively people might just have different view points and with companies stressing diversity in gender race and other areas we might also respect different view points
    Churchy is still an antisemite. Hard to respect that.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    If you find something boring, annoying or you think someone is trolling, why not just ignore it? Don't engage. If I got involved in responding to everything I didn't agree with or everything I found annoying on the internet, it'd be a full time job.
    Inside or outside IR35

You are right and for most they are ignored, but when we start to lose decent posters because of the trolls and sockies then surely that is not good for CUK?

Debate and heated but controlled arguments is fine, but some of these trolls are here ONLY to argue and have nothing of value to add. If this is also a user that has already been banned then surely a ban is a ban?

Leave a comment:

• KinooOrKinog
    replied
    If you find something boring, annoying or you think someone is trolling, why not just ignore it? Don't engage. If I got involved in responding to everything I didn't agree with or everything I found annoying on the internet, it'd be a full time job.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    What about forgiveness and repentness. Some people might have changed and others might not have the wisdom of some of our courageous leaders like old Greg and other celebrities.

But with patience fortitude perseverance and mentor ship from the established fearless posters here these young buds will flourish into able younger versions of themselves

Alternatively people might just have different view points and with companies stressing diversity in gender race and other areas we might also respect different view points
    WBR14S

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    oh, JFO!

Leave a comment:

• LondonPM1
    replied
    True, but once identified there should be an immediate ban of new account. If a person is permabanned, then surely that ban should continue irrespective of the name they post under? If not, then why ban someone in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Ok, how would you stop this?

I'll help you out: you can't.

VPNs will hide IPs and people can make up whatever tag they like. The only mitigation is guess work based on the content of posts.
    True, but once identified there should be an immediate ban of new account. If a person is permabanned, then surely that ban should continue irrespective of the name they post under? If not, then why ban someone in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's not so much the sockies, as the replacement accounts. Take a poster like churchy - vile antisemitic turd by any measure. Permabanned, but then allowed to resurface as Triggenare. It's crappy forum administration.
    True ... I kind of think of the new account as a sockie, but you're right - in this case it's a replacement account. If someone is banned then it's for a reason and it does seem strange that the same person can just create a new account and CUK allow that.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Your mitigation relies on Sockies being stupid. Well done.
    Well it works with Churchy / Triggenare, so you may be right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X