• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Transport

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Transport"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You can take the idiot out of Russia, but you can't take the Russia out of the idiot, it seems.

We don't believe in authoritarian systems here old chum.
    Try telling that to the firstborn sons of Egypt.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    “ In language that some may find draconian, the health secretary said that the guidelines are "not a request" but rather an "instruction".

And the government has constantly reiterated that it rules nothing out should the scientific advice suggest that restrictions should go further.

However, indications from Downing St suggest that measures such as those seen in France, where people have to produce forms, aren’t under active discussion.”

Coronavirus: Health secretary calls for more UK trial volunteers - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You can take the idiot out of Russia, but you can't take the Russia out of the idiot, it seems.

You’d better start getting used to it

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    No, one of them is real life - unusual, but not completely unprecedented.

The other is made up imaginary technology that only exists in your head.
    Jesus, and this is supposed to be IT forum - imaginary technology like having some cards disable on certain days, yesh, that’s totally futuristic

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The science fiction bit is global pandemic with near total lockdown, now that's science fiction.

What I talked about is totally easily doable in comparison.
    No, one of them is real life - unusual, but not completely unprecedented.

The other is made up imaginary technology that only exists in your head.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Under GDPR I have a right to not have decisions made by automation, or some such

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Under GDPR I have a right to not have decisions made by automation, or some such

only if you aren't an excluded organisation

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    its just data so it an be automated just like speeding fines.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Who does the analysis, to confirm a fine is due, and issues the fine?
    Jeez, you sound like so many clients I've had in the past. Stop asking questions and just implement the half-baked solution I've got in my head!
    Last edited by Paralytic; 3 April 2020, 15:52.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

its just data so it an be automated just like speeding fines.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    Your bank does eventually get all that information but for many transactions they simply don't bother asking the bank if they approve your purchase of a 50p roll of polo mints and approve it automatically.

eventually being T+3 i.e. 4 working days.

Your guide to contactless card payments | emerchantpay

We don't need to stop the transaction we just need to register it and then send a fine a reasonable time after like a speeding ticket.

So I break curfew, spend 50p on Polos and get a curfew ticket within 14 days. Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    So my bank doesn't get a feed of the transactions to add them to my bank statement? The credit card company can link the transaction back to the POS terminal?

Strange because when I ask them they seem to know those things.

It doesn't have to be real time. A few prosecutions pour encourager les autres.
    Your bank does eventually get all that information but for many transactions they simply don't bother asking the bank if they approve your purchase of a 50p roll of polo mints and approve it automatically.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Proof I guess is that given a serious crime, caught on this omnipresent CCTV, pops up on Crimewatch 2 years later unsolved ….

Leave a comment:

Working...
X