• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "20 years ago - what were you doing?"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    In a village hall? That would be unusual.
    Just thought I'd ask.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    What? No hospital beds available?
    In a village hall? That would be unusual.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    After reading a theregistor.co.uk article, I just wonder what the denizens were up to 20 years ago this day.

I was working on a SAP project for a government department. Low hours, high pay and a licensed bar in the basement. But NYE, my family and I went to a village party. I remember most people brought their kids, so there were chairs pushed together from about 10pm onwards, so the little darlings could sleep. My little darlings were tough enough to curl up on coats on the floor.
    What? No hospital beds available?

I was contracting in Germany but spent NYE - after an interesting drive through snow from Ulm - at a rather nice hostelry owned by friends in Roquefort Les Pins.

My Y2K stuff was done, tested and verified well before 1999, why wasn't everyone elses?
    Last edited by Zigenare; 3 January 2020, 06:42.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    That was a bit short; what went wrong?

I remained there some time, was on the floor September 2001 - watched the second plane hit on live TV monitors. Terrible times as the dot-com bubble burst.
    Got better offer. Went to HSBC IB and like you saw the second plane hit live. I did go back to CS for a bit recently.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    We would have been at CSFB at the same time. I was there from Jul 1999 to Oct 2000. Equities. It was the tail end of the Wild West years. Attitudes were changing pretty quickly around that time.
    That was a bit short; what went wrong?

I remained there some time, was on the floor September 2001 - watched the second plane hit on live TV monitors. Terrible times as the dot-com bubble burst.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You may not be unsurprised to know I did do a stint behind the bar of a night club for a short while in the early 2000's. Far too much like hard work all for a measly £25 a night, taxed at emergency rate.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    6 months into my first ever contract. SAP/Unix support at HP in Bristol.

£35 an hour if I remember correctly. Those were the days - hourly rates.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar...

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I had just started a gig working on the trading floor at Credit Suisse.

There was a big hole in the department following a slew of sackings as blowback to the "flaming Ferraris" insider-trading scandal.

How 'Flaming Ferraris' burned their bridges | Business | The Guardian

So I got a pile of source code, a production system to manage and no handover!
    We would have been at CSFB at the same time. I was there from Jul 1999 to Oct 2000. Equities. It was the tail end of the Wild West years. Attitudes were changing pretty quickly around that time.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied

There was a big hole in the department following a slew of sackings as blowback to the "flaming Ferraris" insider-trading scandal.

par for the course then! and future instructions on the bag of a fag packet no doubt!

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    getting 1000 gbp per day to monitor some mainframes, just in case
    getting £250 ph to monitor some HP3000 midrange machines - just in case.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I was working in recruitment at the time.

Had to go in and check the photocopier and fax machine still worked.

[emoji849]

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Like NF I'd just finished a 12 month contract in Cheltenham working on burglar alarms and some sort of ATE tester thingie, all of which was embedded, some of it bare metal just to make it that little bit more tedious.

I was on my way towards a 7 month or so contract in Rugby bare metal coding for a thing that ended up being sold in Argos for £79.99, reduced to £39.99 when it turned out the basic concept was a pile of ordure.

The other pile of ordure from the same source was a battery operated portable fridge for drugs & such like that would have required a forklift for the batteries once I'd done the maths on the amount of power required and the U value of any likely insulation.

Peltier coolers are not the most efficient of devices.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I’d just finished a gig in Cheltenham involving cutting edge stuff like JavaScript and XML

New Year itself was spent in a pub that’s long since been demolished, like all the best pubs in this benighted city that thinks digging up kings who were peacefully resting under car parks is all the heritage it needs

Leave a comment:

Working...
X