• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are IPSE rebranding (again)?"

Collapse

• rogerfederer
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    the mistake I made, because of my English grammar training, was to use the capital letter, rather than lower case. However, I guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
    The issue eluding you is that your comment is hierarchical and xenophobic on multiple levels, as it perpetuates the prejudice the visitors by ship had of them having found India. In addition it perpetuates a stereotype of the 'chief' not being Indians themselves; but of course neither were Indian, as it wasn't India.

Interestingly it has been since said that native Americans find the phrase 'Native American' offensive. There's north America, south America and America as a whole. The USA have promulgated the link between USA and American, with the suggestion of native American and cultural American. It is therefore easy to see why 'native American' is not enjoyed as a term by those of direct pre-USA heritage, as arguably cultural Americans are those who were killed and drove out in the rapid drive to inhabit the land by those initial visitors and those brought over to govern and create what is now the US.

As for the rebrand: Chris Bryce should get back to a day job, as any IPSE-based gravy train - any good efforts aside that I'm sure he has helped with or created - is over. Membership is about to plummet and the 'about us' page highlighted by SAPtastic seems to suggest the clutching of straw.
    Last edited by rogerfederer; 22 November 2019, 12:58.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    it's all so much water under the bridge for me now. I've moved on.
    Clearly

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    AIUI IPSE aren't in the habit of banning people for no reason. JtB broke the entirely reasonable forum rules. End of.
    it's all so much water under the bridge for me now. I've moved on.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    AIUI IPSE aren't in the habit of banning people for no reason. JtB broke the entirely reasonable forum rules. End of.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Well, when you're referring to people of Indian origin in your quip, it is easy to interpret as racist - indeed it made me squirm (although I did not report it, largely due to apathy)
    the mistake I made, because of my English grammar training, was to use the capital letter, rather than lower case. However, I guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    they banned me for posting a different angle on the chiefs and indians quip, calling it racist.
    That's racist. Mods, can you do the needful please.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    What's the thing about rolos with a picture of a KitKat??

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    they banned me for posting a different angle on the chiefs and indians quip, calling it racist.
    That's the trouble with racist posts, they have a nasty habit of coming across as racist.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Freelance Corner

"Freelance Corner provides a platform for you to join new groups, set up your own, a place to voice your concerns or ideas. You can help shape a small project or maybe something bigger like, I don’t know, a political agenda for the entire freelance landscape? Or simply learn from others who have gone before. And wise man once said “we all came here from different ships, but we’re now in the same boat.”

Is this for real? or some test please delete site?
    Looks genuine. Why not sign up and see what it's all about?

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Freelance Corner

"Freelance Corner provides a platform for you to join new groups, set up your own, a place to voice your concerns or ideas. You can help shape a small project or maybe something bigger like, I don’t know, a political agenda for the entire freelance landscape? Or simply learn from others who have gone before. And wise man once said “we all came here from different ships, but we’re now in the same boat.”

Is this for real? or some test please delete site?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Squirmed of Hampshire View Post
    Well, when you're referring to people of Indian origin in your quip, it is easy to interpret as racist - indeed it made me squirm (although I did not report it, largely due to apathy)
    It made you "squirm"? You do come out with some tulipe.

Leave a comment:

• openstrike
    replied
    I guess many of those members will not require IPSE from April 2020.
    Seems they are just realising: Chris Bryce on Twitter: "I have an overwhelming feeling of generosity today.

Join @teamIPSE using the link below and get 50 quid off Plus membership.

https://t.co/RXOMRWyZEt

NB - doesn't apply to my Rolos!… https://t.co/lGWAP0I0DJ"

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Yet there was a question on here very recently about maternity pay, and rural broadband is pretty damned serious if you live in some of the nicer parts of the country and trying to earn a living and are faced with speeds barely better than 3G. In our village of some 12,000 people I get 28Mbs on a FTTC link, which is bad enough, but three miles away it's usually less than 2Mbs
    I don’t have a village pub or big 6 bedroom rural house (for £300k) I demand these in London if we are all to be equal

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    IPSE couldn't care less about their traditional Members. They are generally apathetic and non-participatory, only concerned about the IR35 and other Insurances, offered under the IPSE banner.

If the executive want to make wholesale changes, then they have the tools at their disposal to push through amendments to the Articles of Association. In this case, the Company that owns Freelance Corner, has adopted the Model Articles of Association provided in terms of the Companies Act.

In my opinion, IPSE has become irrelevant, since they abolished the Consultative Council (who asked too many uncomfortable questions about IPSE's policies, strategies and tactical operations).
    IPSE couldn't care less about their traditional Members
    I claimed this in so many words a long time ago. I guess many of those members will not require IPSE from April 2020.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X