• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone develop for alexa?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    I had the exact same thought as you, until I noticed the guide dog and the vacant stare. Then I thought - this ad is actually pretty clever.

People that get it will be impressed by the application of the device they have never thought about.

People that don't get it will discuss how stupid it is, until someone points out the detail they missed - so it's a marketing gold.

there is a lot going on in this space, soon we will see more people living independently for longer thanks to technology.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    My mistake. It wasn't clear to me that the woman was blind.

explains a lot about the quality of moderation on here!

my six year old understood it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    until I noticed the dog and the vacant stare.
    I'd imagine that applies to a number of posters on here and they have no vision issues.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    I had the exact same thought as you, until I noticed the guide dog and the vacant stare. Then I thought - this ad is actually pretty clever.

People that get it will be impressed by the application of the device they have never thought about.

People that don't get it will discuss how stupid it is, until someone points out the detail they missed - so it's a marketing gold.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    If someone could tell me how to get whisper mode working I would be grateful. I'm sure you can do it but cant find a setting for it.

So, if I wake up at 4am and want the heating on I want to whisper "Alexa, set hallway heating to 22 degrees" and I want her to whisper back "ok done". Not "THE HALLWAY HEATING IS SET TO 22 DEGREES".

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    How do I say "Alexa, play ∞" if I want to listen to Irene Papas's contribution to side three of the Aphrodite's Child album 666
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    It will play you John Cage's 4'33"
    or Chicago's '25 or 6 to 4'

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    How do I say "Alexa, play ∞" if I want to listen to Irene Papas's contribution to side three of the Aphrodite's Child album 666
    It will play you John Cage's 4'33"

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    I wrote a "skill".

The whole idea behind it was that it contained a load of P*ss take lines about a friend of mine.

I had a group of mates round for drinks and had primed a tech-unsavy one of them to ask about the Alexa ( they were new then ... ) and told him how to trigger the app.

So the conversation went like this.

Techfobe Friend : What's that funny thing
    TTA : It's an Alexa, you can ask it any question like "Alexa, What's the weather like today?"
    Techfobe Friend : That's clever, "Alexa Ask Peter what he would do"

Alexa : Peter would have another drink ...

Alexa : Peter's wife is long suffering ...

etc etc

It was a lot of work for a poor practical joke.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    To be fair I also did that.

But mainly because the majority of people who use an Alexa will be able to see, will be looking out of the window but will still ask Alexa to confirm it.

Because once you get over the fact that all it really is is a voice driven radio/mp3 player etc then you realise it is pretty useless - i mean yes I could ask it to search google for me - but if I am looking for a visual answer or answer which is more than a few sentences long I am probably going to need to sit at a screen and keyboard.

Obviously it is very useful for letting the FBI steal your personal data.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Typical whataboutery, did you vote "Remain" by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Anyway, Wareable on Twitter: "Amazon Echo Frames glasses lets Alexa sit on your face

https://t.co/O7gsCo3EVd… "

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    How disappointing, it's the standard Alexa voice on the ad.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    They need to work on their advertising skills - the current one which is on daytime TV a lot (when you're retired, you sometimes watch daytime TV) includes a section where a woman opens the curtains and looks out the window, then says "Alexa what is the weather right now"
    Now, I may be stupid, but if you're looking out the window you can see what the weather is right now.
    Mods can we move this to general so this gets the attention it deserves?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X