• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: May resigns

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "May resigns"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Well the DUP did not vote with the government last night, and that means the government does not have a majority if the opposition parties can be bothered to turn up.

So probably the DUP acting like this will force change at the top of the Conservative party.

Else there will have to be an election, as the government will quickly start losing votes in parliament.

Who would have thought that bribing them for support (with taxpayer money) would work out so untrustable. I'm sure we'll get better from the EU for the £46 billion (that is estimated and could well be a lot more seeing how well the UK do 'negotiation').

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Well the DUP did not vote with the government last night, and that means the government does not have a majority if the opposition parties can be bothered to turn up.

So probably the DUP acting like this will force change at the top of the Conservative party.

Else there will have to be an election, as the government will quickly start losing votes in parliament.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper View Post
    Because it's true. Whoever replaces her will start their own agenda without a mandate to do so.
    It's not true, because that's not how our system works. We can argue that maybe it should be but that's a separate debate.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Splitting hairs somewhat...

but anyway - if no one likes May then you know which way to vote in the next election.
    It's worth pointing out, some on here only get to vote for one MP out of 650 which they consider perfectly acceptable, but 1 out of 751 is an absolute disgrace to them.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    It's what he does. You would too to be fair.....if you were blessed with a brain that was smaller than a weasel's wedding tackle.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Labour open up a 4 point lead

The Unicorn Brexit has now been consigned to the dustbin of history and the Tories are now toast whatever they do.

be afraid, be very afraid.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    She wasn't voted leader of the Conservative Party by a members vote.
    She became leader by default when the others in the running withdrew after the second parliamentary party vote. So, out of 124,000 members, she got 199 votes and was duly elected.

but anyway - if no one likes May then you know which way to vote in the next election.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Yes she was voted in.

After the brexit vote Cameron stepped down, there was a leadership contest and May won.
    She wasn't voted leader of the Conservative Party by a members vote.
    She became leader by default when the others in the running withdrew after the second parliamentary party vote. So, out of 124,000 members, she got 199 votes and was duly elected.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by cosmic View Post
    She will not resign and was not voted in but gets voted out by her own party.
    She wasn't "voted in" as Prime Minister because we don't elect Prime Ministers. She was of course voted in by her party and formed a government after winning the most seats at the last GE. You must realise this, right?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by cosmic View Post
    Looks like she is going out like the Tories idol Thatcher. She will not resign and was not voted in but gets voted out by her own party.
    Yes she was voted in.

After the brexit vote Cameron stepped down, there was a leadership contest and May won.

May then called a GE so if the country did not want her they could vote against the Tories - the tories retained a majority and then formed a coalition with the DUP to get the required number of seats

Not sure what else she was supposed to do?

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Can't ever see her resigning and I can't see her losing a confidence vote either if it comes to it. Getting 48 letters is one thing (and I expect it will happen) but 150 odd votes against her? Doubt it. As much as I can't stand the woman I can't see how getting rid of her would help anything, unless she's replaced by a remainer Prime Minister who decide to abandon Brexit or call for a second referendum (can't see that happening either).

Leave a comment:

• cosmic
    replied
    Looks like she is going out like the Tories idol Thatcher. She will not resign and was not voted in but gets voted out by her own party.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    How Brexiters continue to be so utterly blind to such clear manipulation is something I suspect I'll struggle with until the end of time.

It's quite simple. It's not that they are utterly blind but that they do not want to see, If they did then they would have to admit they were wrong and admitting you are wrong is not a Brexit thing, the Brexit mantra is to shirk responsibility and blame the EU. If the EU cannot be blamed, then blame others.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper View Post
    It could be BoJo, he doesn't really want Brexit though, he only backed Brexit to get to Cameron, he thought it would further his prospects to become PM in the future because he never thought Brexit would win so he'd never have to deliver on it. I doubt his views on the EU are really that far out from those of Jo Johnson (last week: "Jo Who?").

You mean like the time he wrote an entire Pro-EU article, before deciding which side benefited him the most. Self serving piece of crap. How Brexiters continue to be so utterly blind to such clear manipulation is something I suspect I'll struggle with until the end of time.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    What are the odds on JRM?
    10/1, but I don't see it. The thing with Mogg is that his anti-EU rhetoric stems from his fear of the impending EU Anti Tax Avoidance legislation. It's sickening that he duped so many people into thinking he is the solution to their problems.

Fact is, he doesn't want a bad Brexit on his watch (it is now apparent there is no other type of Brexit), he'll be happy for someone else to take that can, he's never held a cabinet position (imagine how seething he is right now that he doesn't have a position to resign from!). Nah, it wont be Mogg.

It could be BoJo, he doesn't really want Brexit though, he only backed Brexit to get to Cameron, he thought it would further his prospects to become PM in the future because he never thought Brexit would win so he'd never have to deliver on it. I doubt his views on the EU are really that far out from those of Jo Johnson (last week: "Jo Who?").

Leave a comment:

Working...
X