• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Panasonic Plasma problems"

Collapse

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    The problem is there are no decent non-smart TVs and no 4K from a major manufacturer at least. So you are forced to eat the "smart" and free to ignore it later.

I know because I was looking for a new bedroom TV around 40" last month. There were 2 1080p options one Sony and one Panasonic, the Sony was better but around £400 mark, the Panasonic was around £300, ended up with 50" Philips 4k HDR smart for £400. The "smart" bit is OKish, but the lack of Plex is a deal-breaker for me, so waiting on the refreshed Fire stick that will support 4K as a final solution.
    Yep, I suppose this is what I expect will happen.

Did you look at any monitors at all in your search? I don't even want\need internal receivers as these are also external for me.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No!

I can't fit it in my flat with the sofa & the kebab fumes damage the OLED?

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    As long as you mean 4k OLED.

Last year's budget models appear to be a grand or less with the current generation around 1.5 to 2 grand. Bargain.
    No!

8k, peasant!

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    As long as you mean 4k OLED.

Last year's budget models appear to be a grand or less with the current generation around 1.5 to 2 grand. Bargain.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    OLED or GO Home
    This

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Those of us of Mature Years. , may well remember the failed attempt* in the late 70s/early 80s to launch the televisual equivalent of HiFi.

At a time when all there was was 3 channels on terrestrial analogue it didn't fair too well.

How things have changed.

IIRC at that time one had to wait a couple of years for a phone line, and answering machines were considered high tech.

*Possibly Sony.

In fact exactly Sony:

In 1980, Sony introduced the "ProFeel" line of prosumer component televisions, consisting of a range of Trinitron monitors that could be connected to standardized tuners.

The original lineup consisted of the KX-20xx1 20" and KX-27xx1 27" monitors (the "xx" is an identifier, PS for Europe, HF for Japan, etc.) the VTX-100ES tuner and TXT-100G TeleText decoder.

They were often used with a set of SS-X1A stereo speakers, which matched the grey boxy styling of the suite.[15]

The concept was to build a market similar to contemporary stereo equipment, where components from different vendors could be mixed to produce a complete system.

However, a lack of any major third party components, along with custom connectors between the tuner and monitors, meant that systems mixing fully compatible elements were never effectively realized.

They were popular high-end units, however, and found a strong following in production companies where the excellent quality picture made them effective low-cost monitors.

A second series of all-black units followed in 1986, the ProFeel Pro, sporting a space-frame around the back of the trapezoidal enclosure that doubled as a carrying handle and holder for the pop-out speakers.

These units were paired with the VT-X5R tuner and optionally the APM-X5A speakers.[16]
    Trinitron - Wikipedia
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 October 2018, 07:22.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    OLED or GO Home

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Which ever way you go download Plex, this has plug ins for stuff like Iplayer and YouTube. If you eventually go the whole proper media centre route their is a server component

Sent from my 5045X using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    ok thanks I'll get the Amazon stick

if I get the stick do I have to get the Kindle

Milan.
    You don't need Kindle to use the fire stick. It's really the best option in terms of cost/features. You might need to power it from a USB either on the TV or an adaptor in the socket, as I somewhat doubt a 10 years old TV has HDMI ports that provide power.

Apple TV is nice especially if you are in the Apple ecosystem, but too pricey for what it offers as a TV box and lacks All4 app (not that you care).

The NVIDIA Shield is hands down the best in terms of features and performance, the only downside is the price.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Milan.
    No, just order an Amazon Fire Stick. Nothing more, nothing less.

Once you've got it download the vTube Player App onto it.

Done.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Because then you wouldn't have YouTube and all those other things you want.
    (And the Amazon Fire Stick will still give you what you want for a fraction of the price of the Apple)

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    cripes it's complicated these days isn't it, you need a degree just to make sure you get the right tv combo

why can't we just go back to the days when you just bought a tv and that was it

Milan.

Because then you wouldn't have YouTube and all those other things you want.
    (And the Amazon Fire Stick will still give you what you want for a fraction of the price of the Apple)

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    does your computer have the ability to access a search engine?
    Apple TV - YouTube Help

Yes, Apple TV 3/4/5 supports YouTube, but not at 4k.

cripes it's complicated these days isn't it, you need a degree just to make sure you get the right tv combo

why can't we just go back to the days when you just bought a tv and that was it

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    does Apple TV have a YouTube app ?

Milan.
    does your computer have the ability to access a search engine?
    Apple TV - YouTube Help

Yes, Apple TV 3/4/5 supports YouTube, but not at 4k.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    thanks Sal.

I'll have a look at Apple TV.

Most importantly I don't want anything that needs a subscription

Milan.

does Apple TV have a YouTube app ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...