• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Train Ticket Splitting"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    It does work, but you need to be careful of the rules. I did it for a week on Open Tickets but got a train which didn't stop at Coventry (The split station).

The guard was alright with me, but did make it clear they should have charged me.
    Yeh I've done it before. Like you said, if train doesnt stop at split station you may be in trouble.

I guess its because you're getting off and station and then getting back on same train in effect. Even though you dont actually do it- so if it doesnt even stop then you're on an invalid train for 2nd part of the journey.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    I thought he cured that with sellotape?
    It was a particularly bad case so he's had to resort to gaffa tape.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It's simple:
    • Given a train journey that passes through stations A, B, and C:
    • Ticket from A → C costs x
    • Ticket from A → B costs y
    • Ticket from B → C costs z

if y + z < x, then get the tickets for A → B and B → C.

The only restriction is that the train on which you travel must stop at B. They don't actually force you to get off and on again though
    NF managed to explain something without resorting to integration. I owe you a Greggs lunch...

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    It's simple:

The only restriction is that the train on which you travel must stop at B. They don't actually force you to get off and on again though
    And sometimes B doesn't even need to be between A and C. In the following link it was a lot cheaper for a ticket from Lancaster to Euston than from Preston (nearer) to Euston. So a commuter bought a cheaper Lancaster ticket and even travelled to Lancaster to start his journey, but got into a bit of hot water:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/277652...train-tickets/

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I have never heard of train ticket splitting before.

Dare I look this up on urban dictionary from client site?
    It's simple:

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You know Wilmslow is a splitter
    I thought he cured that with sellotape?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    What's wrong with the London Midland trains?
    I've done the Crewe to Euston route on London Midlands. Great if it's quiet, you're in no rush, you've got a book to get through and it's coming out of your own pocket. If not, Pendolino all day long.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You know Wilmslow is a splitter

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    As just said above. Slow, stops at every lamp-post, seats are rows of 5 so cramped. Essentially a local commuter train being used for long distance. No trolley, no shop, so you cannot buy anything. Yes, they are £12 but I cannot function for the day if I use it!
    Same experience to the two above for me as well. Coventry to London on LM? Not a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    As just said above. Slow, stops at every lamp-post, seats are rows of 5 so cramped. Essentially a local commuter train being used for long distance. No trolley, no shop, so you cannot buy anything. Yes, they are £12 but I cannot function for the day if I use it!

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    They're slow as hell, stop at every stop and their First Class may aswell not exist. No shop, either.

I wouldn't get one to London if they paid me.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    You want Matthew Somerville's split ticket finder at traintimes.org.uk: https://split.traintimes.org.uk/
    My cunning test has worked, I now know who Gricerboy is.....

Thanks for the link, just what I am after. I will be using the fixed trains so no worries on the wrong ticket for the journey - perfect.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    You want Matthew Somerville's split ticket finder at traintimes.org.uk: https://split.traintimes.org.uk/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X