• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boomed

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boomed"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    He did.

Me: I'm sorry but I've signed a new contract now.

Him: But you signed a contract with us?

Me: [Hard silent stare across the table]

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Well done! Even though your current client offered an extra month (whoop-de-doo) there's no guarantee they'd have work (and therefore pay you) during that extra time. Length of contract doesn't guarantee amount of work you can bill them for.

Though if a client values you enough and they aren't sure of future work available you can negotiate terms at renewal, e.g. to be paid a minimum number of hours/days per week, so can invoice them when nothing to actually do.

How else do you think so many CUKers have such a high post count.

Doesn't sit will if outside IR35 though unless you get it worded right 'on retainer'.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Tempting that it is to tell the truth I'm remaining polite and professional.
    Sometimes biting your tongue means more work in the future, no matter how tempting it is to give the client a dose of reality.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Did you tell him that you though the desire to send perfectly good uk jobs overseas to try to recoup the cost of some absolutely abysmal management decisions was a deciding factor in your decision not to renew?
    I couldn't tell the manager responsible as he has opened another small office some distance away where he skulks with the marketing team and broadcasts his unpopular and ill-conceived ideas that others are forced to implement and still deliver the product.

Tempting that it is to tell the truth I'm remaining polite and professional.
    Last edited by TwoWolves; 11 June 2018, 09:05.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Did you tell him that you though the desire to send perfectly good uk jobs overseas to try to recoup the cost of some absolutely abysmal management decisions was a deciding factor in your decision not to renew?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    be strong, stand back and laugh!
    ...and wait for the phone call in 3 months time.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Nice one!

I am covering for my manager next week - interviewing Indian offshore chaps to do my job! Nice and demoralising. Client seems to think that the role of technical delivery manager and operational readiness / service transition manager can be merged into one job and done from the sub continent. Happy days.

CV spivved and out there.
    be strong, stand back and laugh!

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And did he think he was doing you a favour?
    He did.

Me: I'm sorry but I've signed a new contract now.

Him: But you signed a contract with us?

Me: [Hard silent stare across the table]

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Nice one!

I am covering for my manager next week - interviewing Indian offshore chaps to do my job! Nice and demoralising. Client seems to think that the role of technical delivery manager and operational readiness / service transition manager can be merged into one job and done from the sub continent. Happy days.

CV spivved and out there.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I love those situations. Stick it to them.

In fact, triple your rate and see how that goes down.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    The client takes me into an office, steaming with rage and offers a further month on top. How do I refuse such a sexy offer?
    And did he think he was doing you a favour?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Well played indeed.

It is incredibly frustrating and demotivating to be stuck at clients where they only ever talk about cost cutting and "insourcing" of contractors (whilst simultaneously outsourcing everything to India ), with the constant battle of having to argue one's worth every time a renewal is being touted.

I love how the client offers you another month as if that is a world-shaking move on his part. I guess from his perspective he's doing everything he thinks he can, but the truth is that he isn't able to see beyond the blinkers of permiedom that his master has put on him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X