• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mirror, Signal, Motorway Manoeuvre"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Our travelling friends are ahead of the game as ever.

Once the oil runs out, the M4 will be nose to tail with ponies & traps.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Probably a good idea. I remember my first ever solo trip after passing my driving test, I nearly went the wrong way up a dual carriageway. Having learned to drive in a London suburb, I'd never encountered one before.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well actually anywhere between 60 and 85....

but the main point is anything which keeps hgv's to the inside lane is a bonus.

The number of times you come across slow moving traffic being caused solely because someone is doing 50 in the inside lane which forces hgv to middle lane which then causes middle lane hogger into outside lane to over take lorry - but middle lane hogger will only ever do 60 - thus all other traffic is reduced to a max of 60 for the duration of the over take manoeuvres - which can be 1-2 miles ....
    HGVs are limited to 56 mph. Unfortunately UK motorways also have hills and speeds are thus reduced.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Next: invalid carriages and motorcycles under 50cc, pedestrians, and animals
    Where my caravan has rested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-...wales-44512792

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So you can go anywhere between 60 and 70? What freedom!
    Well actually anywhere between 60 and 85....

but the main point is anything which keeps hgv's to the inside lane is a bonus.

The number of times you come across slow moving traffic being caused solely because someone is doing 50 in the inside lane which forces hgv to middle lane which then causes middle lane hogger into outside lane to over take lorry - but middle lane hogger will only ever do 60 - thus all other traffic is reduced to a max of 60 for the duration of the over take manoeuvres - which can be 1-2 miles ....

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Being able to average anything above 40mph on UK motorways would be a plus!

Btw, anyone else noticed the size of the potholes on the M6? FFS!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Indeed - in fact the minimum on the motorway or dual carriage way for non hgv traffic should be 60

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Traffic Lights on slip roads! The genius who dreamt up that concept needs hanging!
    Have those in some parts of Germany, they only let a couple of cars onto the motorway at a time and only used during rush hour. Work a treat...

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    My pet peave is people who insist on joining the MWay far slower than the traffic already on it, with me behind in the danger zone.
    Traffic Lights on slip roads! The genius who dreamt up that concept needs hanging!

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    My pet peave is people who insist on joining the MWay far slower than the traffic already on it, with me behind in the danger zone.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Driving at 45mph on a motorway and some dual carriageways is dangerous.

It also annoys HGV drivers who then have to be let out by people like me, who can see their frustration.
    Indeed - in fact the minimum on the motorway or dual carriage way for non hgv traffic should be 60

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Next: invalid carriages and motorcycles under 50cc, pedestrians, and animals
    I always thought getting rid of the man with the red flag was a bad idea. JR-M for PM

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    What next? Lessons on how to try and evade a Police pursuit without stoving your tulipbox corsa into another car/tree/bus full of Nuns for 17 year old Ayrton Senna wannabes?
    I don’t see the link.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    What next? Lessons on how to try and evade a Police pursuit without stoving your tulipbox corsa into another car/tree/bus full of Nuns for 17 year old Ayrton Senna wannabes?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
    Never heard of that. Which parts?
    Northern Ireland (scroll to the bottom: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...r-requirements )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X