• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Skip Rats - etiquette"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DelboyTrotter View Post
    To finish off....eventually after 10 days of leaving the aforementioned compost bin outside the front of the house, with a "Please Take Me I am FREE" sign - albeit washed off in the rain, the compost bin is off to a new home....just waiting for them to return it again based on previous record....
    If they have any sense, they'll fill it up with rubbish first.

Leave a comment:

• DelboyTrotter
    replied
    Resolved....

To finish off....eventually after 10 days of leaving the aforementioned compost bin outside the front of the house, with a "Please Take Me I am FREE" sign - albeit washed off in the rain, the compost bin is off to a new home....just waiting for them to return it again based on previous record....

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    And he talks to you so nicely.
    Indeed. "Printing started", "Please load paper in the autosheet feeder", "Printing complete", "Ink is low" etc. in his US accent. Used to print things just for the companionship. Otherwise so nice and quiet. Canon I replaced him with sounds like a cannon, clatter clatter, bang.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

I've got at least 3, none of which have any ink left.
    lots of people will want them for parts if making a CNC etc.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Got rid of a garden broom on Freecycle this morning. Always put a note on things if I leave them out.

Can't find anyone who wants my old Lexmark printer unfortunately and I can't throw him away, he's my friend!

I've got at least 3, none of which have any ink left.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Got rid of a garden broom on Freecycle this morning. Always put a note on things if I leave them out.

Can't find anyone who wants my old Lexmark printer unfortunately and I can't throw him away, he's my friend!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
    I've had people who are clearly market traders turn up at the house via Freecycle. I know I shouldn't care, but it just seems to go against the spirit of it.
    I've had random people as I have given anything from pot plants to a ladder.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
    I've had people who are clearly market traders turn up at the house via Freecycle. I know I shouldn't care, but it just seems to go against the spirit of it.
    That's why I tend to wait a while before accepting someone's offer.

I've got rid of things like a garden fork that was missing one of the tines and empty pots etc.

Leave a comment:

• amanwhoisquiet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Another +1 for FreeCycle, apart from the shysters who want the goods delivered to them, WTF!

qh

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You could try https://www.freecycle.org/browse/UK
    (I know it doesn't answer your specific problem, but it would probably get rid of the composter)
    I am a big fan of Freecycle. 8 years later my AEG washer, dryer and fridge at my Yorkshire pad are still going strong, courtesy of a lady in York who was remodeling her kitchen.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    You could try https://www.freecycle.org/browse/UK
    (I know it doesn't answer your specific problem, but it would probably get rid of the composter)

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    So having some garden work done and have had a skip outside front of the house (on the driveway) being used to clear out the rubbish.

Being a considerate fellow anything of any use I have placed outside the skip on the boundary of my property for anyone to help themselves.

I have left out steel poles, old gas bar-b-q and other items for anyone to help themselves - we live opposite an entrance to some allotments so we have plenty of footfall.

However, I left out a large compost bin that was no longer required - complete with lid and plastic door for access. This was duly taken by someone (my brother spotted the lady taking it away and loading into her car) - that was about 2 weeks ago.

Low and behold this morning when I was leaving for work around 0600 the compost bin had been duly returned outside my house from around 8pm the previous evening (wasn't there when I came back from walking the dog) !!

Its like "thanks we took the compost bin but have decided to return it as we no longer need it!" Sorry but what is the etiquette here....once you've taken something that I am throwing out its yours (owners keepers and all that) and its a .

Problem being my skip has gone, I don't want the compost bin and if I dump it over at the allotments they'll know where it "originally" came from so now I have to go to the dump and recycle it there.

Tempted to leave a sarcastic note on the bin....anyone else experience similar?
    LOL! What goes around comes around, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    So having some garden work done and have had a skip outside front of the house (on the driveway) being used to clear out the rubbish.

Being a considerate fellow anything of any use I have placed outside the skip on the boundary of my property for anyone to help themselves.

I have left out steel poles, old gas bar-b-q and other items for anyone to help themselves - we live opposite an entrance to some allotments so we have plenty of footfall.

However, I left out a large compost bin that was no longer required - complete with lid and plastic door for access. This was duly taken by someone (my brother spotted the lady taking it away and loading into her car) - that was about 2 weeks ago.

Low and behold this morning when I was leaving for work around 0600 the compost bin had been duly returned outside my house from around 8pm the previous evening (wasn't there when I came back from walking the dog) !!

Its like "thanks we took the compost bin but have decided to return it as we no longer need it!" Sorry but what is the etiquette here....once you've taken something that I am throwing out its yours (owners keepers and all that) and its a .

Problem being my skip has gone, I don't want the compost bin and if I dump it over at the allotments they'll know where it "originally" came from so now I have to go to the dump and recycle it there.

Tempted to leave a sarcastic note on the bin....anyone else experience similar?
    Interesting legal conundrum, but FWIW I'd say that whoever carted off your compost bin took full responsibility and ownership of it from that moment, and consequently in returning it later they are littering!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Property ownership transferred when somebody took it. They have then fly tipped in on your property. Report it to the council saying that someone has dumped their compost bin on your property.

Or take it to the tip.
    Private land the council won't give a tulip.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X