• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Daylight Saving Time - Really?"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It would make sense in London as it would still be light at 9:00 am if the UK stayed on DST, though Aberdeen would get light at 10:00 am.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the '68-'71 GMT+1 all year round experiment.
    Hated it. Walking through the dark to school Ughh.
    Well then school should start later. I think it's been shown that starting later helps kids anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    The xenophobes are out in force today!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    How much time difference was there between Chelsea and Greenwich?
    About 75 years!!

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    I'm old enough to remember the '68-'71 GMT+1 all year round experiment.
    Hated it. Walking through the dark to school Ughh.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If you watch children's TV programs they explain the problems of what happened before GMT was introduced. Anyway every area could set their own time zone which was fine until the railways came.....

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The time is based on Greenwich.

Different parts of London had different times before that.
    Wow. I’ve learnt something today.
    How much time difference was there between Chelsea and Greenwich?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I think we should be on GMT+2 all year round. In fact all Western Europe should also be on that same zone. That was my view as part of a deeper trading relationship with Europe. Bring Paris, London, Frankfurt, berlin etc into a common time zone. Geographically it works just fine with a longitude difference of 13 degrees that is less than one hour in the daily rotation. Adding Dublin makes it just over one hour.

But now we’re brexiting **** facts and logic. Might as well just forget time and clocks now we’ve taken back control.
    GMT is British. That’s why UTC has taken over in all realistic terms as basing the time around London is an anachronism.
    The time is based on Greenwich.

Different parts of London had different times before that.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Daylight Saving Time - Really?

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    So, do we scrap Greenwich Mean Time in favour of summertime all year round because that works better for the retired?
    This whole con by the Mail and it’s believers is that GMT is not British. Sorry, as usual you are wrong.
    I think we should be on GMT+2 all year round. In fact all Western Europe should also be on that same zone. That was my view as part of a deeper trading relationship with Europe. Bring Paris, London, Frankfurt, berlin etc into a common time zone. Geographically it works just fine with a longitude difference of 13 degrees that is less than one hour in the daily rotation. Adding Dublin makes it just over one hour.

But now we’re brexiting **** facts and logic. Might as well just forget time and clocks now we’ve taken back control.
    GMT is British. That’s why UTC has taken over in all realistic terms as basing the time around London is an anachronism.
    Last edited by Lance; 29 October 2017, 09:00.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    So, do we scrap Greenwich Mean Time in favour of summertime all year round because that works better for the retired?
    This whole con by the Mail and it’s believers is that GMT is not British. Sorry, as usual you are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Last time I checked, Scotland was part of the UK. I don't believe IndyRef2 has happened yet.
    Yes it is. There’s still very little point for daylight savings in the UK, and Scotland can keep it if they wish.
    I salute your pedantry but it doesn’t alter my position.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Scotland can keep it if they wish. There’s very little reason for the UK. We are considerably less than an hour in angular rotation from Paris so arguably we should be on their time zone.
    Of course not being on GMT ever would give the brexiteers palpitations so it’ll never happen.
    Last time I checked, Scotland was part of the UK. I don't believe IndyRef2 has happened yet.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    This is solely to ensure that mummy Mrs SB can get back home in time to get her chubby ass plonked on the sofa ATW in time to devour the day's servings of freak-show TV.

FTFY
    Last edited by vetran; 28 October 2017, 20:00. Reason: small child on knee while upsetting SB!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    We don't own UTC.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X