• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Snowflake education"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    NLyUK is good at O levels and A levels.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Probably as hard as A-level papers used to be a few decades ago. Ah! Those "educated young people". Taking advantage of lax standards to follow the current fad of doing pointless degrees.

Seriously, we need to reform the education system. Raise standards and go back to supporting university education for the most able to qualify in subjects the nation needs.
    Yep, the rich with thick kids won't like it but that's the sacrifice that needs to be made.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Lineker said: "We don't know what's going on at the moment. [George] did the Pre-U and they seem to have been marked much harder than the A-level papers
    Probably as hard as A-level papers used to be a few decades ago. Ah! Those "educated young people". Taking advantage of lax standards to follow the current fad of doing pointless degrees.

Seriously, we need to reform the education system. Raise standards and go back to supporting university education for the most able to qualify in subjects the nation needs.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    I'd left school by then so wouldn't know but failure at these was not to be taken lightly as you and your school would have been working very hard to get you in.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    These were required for Oxbridge entrance.
    Not by '86. Although most of us did take (and pass) them.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Sometimes, you just know from an early age that the kids aren't Grade A material....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    63 groats.
    or 126 sessions with MF allegedly.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What's a guinea?

Is it one of these linky
    63 groats.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    In your day you just stumped up the five guineas.
    What's a guinea?

Is it one of these linky

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    In my day you could just do an interview.
    In your day you just stumped up the five guineas.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    In my day you could just do an interview.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    We had special papers (S-levels) for the super-smart.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Lineker blames £25,000-a-year school after son fails to make grade | The Independent

His sons reaction on facebook was "Didn't get into uni... cheers school u massive knobbers!"

Class.
    Still, he was knobbing a glamour model at the time. Wonder where he got that idea from?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Lineker blames £25,000-a-year school after son fails to make grade | The Independent

His sons reaction on facebook was "Didn't get into uni... cheers school u massive knobbers!"

Class.
    I wonder why his son failed -
    He was spotted on a week-long holiday to Tenerife only a few weeks before his exams, and in March was pictured on a night out with Sophie Reade, a 21-year-old glamour model who won the previous season of Big Brother
    All the brats I know revised then again their parents are too poor to pay for them for life.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

See me after class, girl.
    I don't do detentions. I'm reporting you to my mum!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X