• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have your cake and eat it."

Collapse

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Would love an S Type I know they are old but look lovely.
    I've got an S Type which I picked up for a grand. It's like driving a yacht but **** me does it drink fuel.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    My Dad just sold his. 56 plate, diseasel (his previous petrol was incredibly thirsty, the diesel not so bad).

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    You can pick those up for around £1K for an 'R' right scream.

a 4-litre X308
    Try and lay your hands on a super v8. you should get good one for around £2K.

I was lucky with my X350, £6K for 60,000 miles fjsh, with loadsa toys (now won't ever buy anything that doesn't have a heated front screen again). Had to drive it back from Brixham

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    Give the X350 a go. Good ones go for around £8K (£9K for the R) for the mk1 facelift cars are a bit more. I'm a tad bias as I drive one ATM. I was a bit sceptical as I didn't like the height and rear 3/4, but you don't see those things when driving. Definitely the best Jag I've had (out of 10 or 11). Currently saving for an XKR mk2 as a fun car.
    I rather fancied a 4-litre X308 purely for eye watering cheapness, but was on a sticky wicket when the previous Merc packed up and need a cheap fix for the missus (hence the CLK cabrio for £1550). Anyway...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I have a real thing for the XJ. Just have to wait until they are 15-years-old so I can buy one.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Give the X350 a go. Good ones go for around £8K (£9K for the R) for the mk1 facelift cars are a bit more. I'm a tad bias as I drive one ATM. I was a bit sceptical as I didn't like the height and rear 3/4, but you don't see those things when driving. Definitely the best Jag I've had (out of 10 or 11). Currently saving for an XKR mk2 as a fun car.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Jaguar cars are now best selling in their class(es), British designed and built and best of all are great to own, just don't by a diesel - it just not the done thing.
    I have a real thing for the XJ. Just have to wait until they are 15-years-old so I can buy one.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Jaguar cars are now best selling in their class(es), British designed and built and best of all are great to own, just don't by a diesel - it just not the done thing.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    As a BMW owner I would not buy any other car. For half the price I could buy a Vauxhall or Ford that does more but I don't, a 5% - 10% increase in BMW prices would not stop me getting another.

Even with WTO rules which I believe for cars would be a maximum of 10% tariff I will be getting my next BMW , Carbon Fibre was made industrial by the Brits and now sold back to us, familiar story?
    I always said the same about Porsche but other cars standards have increased and the price difference so wide that it's difficult to justify against others.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Thing is I can't see BMW letting Brighton get away with the same thing
    As a BMW owner I would not buy any other car. For half the price I could buy a Vauxhall or Ford that does more but I don't, a 5% - 10% increase in BMW prices would not stop me getting another.

Even with WTO rules which I believe for cars would be a maximum of 10% tariff I will be getting my next BMW , Carbon Fibre was made industrial by the Brits and now sold back to us, familiar story?

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Thing is I can't see BMW letting Brighton get away with the same thing

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    This is the disadvantage of dealing with the EU as a whole. We import 90% of our stuff from a handful of countries, you can be sure that those countries will be driving the negotiations for the EU. Those countries that are just starting to make inroads into our marketplace (e.g. Poland) will want a free a trade as possible as they import hardly anything form us.

Still, at least the French can stop importing British Beef, but they'll lose the contract to supply Beef to the Army.

Not sure it quite works like that, Canada have spent the last 6 years trying to get a trade negotiation with Europe only to be blocked by two Belgian regions, regions that Canada do no trade with.

EU could not agree on what colour the sky was let alone complex trade agreements.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Are individual EU nations allowed to do ANY deals independently or are they forbidden as part of their membership?

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    they do 10% of their trade with us.
    This is the disadvantage of dealing with the EU as a whole. We import 90% of our stuff from a handful of countries, you can be sure that those countries will be driving the negotiations for the EU. Those countries that are just starting to make inroads into our marketplace (e.g. Poland) will want a free a trade as possible as they import hardly anything form us.

Still, at least the French can stop importing British Beef, but they'll lose the contract to supply Beef to the Army.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    basically if you go into a supermarket or bakery and buy a cake, you have a cake. If you eat the cake then normally the cake disappears.

For example

The UK eats the cake

The cake disappears
    Don't you just need to wait until the cake is on a BOGOF?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X