• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "5 years straight contracting anniversary coming up ..."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Why do you assume the two are mutually exclusive?
    Absolutely a fair point. I have sniffed at a few such roles but I think getting in as remote from the off in such sectors, which seem to be more traditional, is tricky? It seems most people get a reputation and/or a relationship with their client before transitioning to remote work?

Getting a lucrative London role while working remotely from the NE would be wonderful for the warchest. I've perhaps taken it a bit TOO easy with cushy renewals.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Because it's a thread, and I responded to his first comment ... I hadn't been given the information about the kids going through school, and his unfortunate divorce, until after I had already responded.

I wasn't trying to be ignorant or arrogant, I was just surprised at how many contractors work for years and yet are still not financially well off, especially given the growth of the housing market over the same time which let's be honest, is where most of us in our 40s + have made most of our 'wealth'.
    Ok I'll let you off then
    Problem is property is a bit illiquid and like the OP I have private school fees to pay.
    But I'm not moaning its all good.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Another one who either doesn't read the thread or is a bit on the ignorant side.
    Hes already said private education for his kids and a divorce.
    Because it's a thread, and I responded to his first comment ... I hadn't been given the information about the kids going through school, and his unfortunate divorce, until after I had already responded.

I wasn't trying to be ignorant or arrogant, I was just surprised at how many contractors work for years and yet are still not financially well off, especially given the growth of the housing market over the same time which let's be honest, is where most of us in our 40s + have made most of our 'wealth'.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Another one who either doesn't read the thread or is a bit on the ignorant side.

For IT people, there seems to be a lot on here who don't RTFM

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    How can you do 12 years straight, with little days without earning, and not be comfortably off? Not being critical, just surprised. My first few years of contracting the whole aim was to rid myself of mortgage, to allow for better freedom going forward.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    12 years now, with only a week's holiday per year in recent years (none before that).

I'm knackered and unfortunately neither am I wealthy
    How can you do 12 years straight, with little days off without earning, and not be comfortably off? Not being critical, just surprised. My first few years of contracting the whole aim was to rid myself of mortgage, to allow for better freedom going forward.
    Last edited by Whorty; 17 December 2016, 18:40.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I focus on being able to work from home over the big bucks working in London. .
    Why do you assume the two are mutually exclusive?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Clarification: the accountant has said you can still get a cash gratuity for a happy finish.
    Apparently you would need to pay income tax but not NI.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I just passed my 9 year mark although I had been doing freelance work on the side of a full-time job for a while previously (I think in the final year I earned more from my 'side job'!)

I don't recall any gaps; I am by no means set but I focus on being able to work from home over the big bucks working in London. And the last couple of years I've been working about half time which is far more civilised. I'd rather do that than have long holidays and work 40hours a week.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I gave up contracting a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    He says I'll have to stop paying cash and stick you on payroll.
    Clarification: the accountant has said you can still get a cash gratuity for a happy finish.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    kids' education and a divorce
    Understand the former, hopefully never the latter.
    It's an accomplishment to have put your kids through private school though

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    I am set
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I am set.
    For you guys, I'm delighted.

I have no idea where mine went. I don't have impressive gadgets or an expensive car. As I said, kids' education and a divorce seems to have absorbed most of the cash. Now I find myself saving for my old age. It's all a bit depressing

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Jeez people, what the hell are you doing. 10+ years of doing this solid and you aren't well on the way to being set for life ?
    I am set.

For the past six months I've been working only 3-4 days per week. I'm not yet 50. But I enjoy my work.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Will spend the Christmas break working out if there is any way of working less ...
    If you can't work that out without needing to spend a lot of time on it, then there's something wrong (hint there are always easy ways to work less)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X