• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dear World, A reflection on the British Spirit"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Based on fantasy like this.

I think people are getting confused about free trade & single market.

However I don't think the single market on services complete yet?

Free trade zones are not Tariff free.

Free trade area v single market - what's the difference? - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Is that because I am able to make decisions without pandering to my ego and so make a decision and come up with a solution based on logic and fact and not petty prejudices like a spoiled ten year old?
    Based on fantasy like this.

You use that word free - so any member of the EU can trade with any other member of the EU and there is no import/export duty then?

Oh no wait of course there is

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    So you never buy a sandwich then?

Rarely. Normally make my own (or get The Wife to make them for me). Then at least I know where the ingredients have come from and it's less expensive than buying every day.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    £8 for a cottage pie is a rip off, particularly when you can buy the potatoes in a farm shop and the meat and make your own for a fraction of that.
    So you never buy a sandwich then?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    £8 for a cottage pie is a rip off, particularly when you can buy the potatoes in a farm shop and the meat and make your own for a fraction of that.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    So, if individuals do nothing, then individuals keep blaming others for everything that is wrong in the world
    And the world becomes more tulipy because individuals are not prepared to SUPPORT their local economy and SUPPORT their local businesses, rather they find it easier to blame others do nothing for themselves.

If YOU want Britain to be Great, then YOU need to support British industry, British farmers, British shops. If you want to blame the EU for you not shopping locally, not buying British, then you are being a hypocrite.
    So if British people should buy British, then presumably not British people should buy not British?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Have you ever been to a farm shop

£8 for a cottage pie - that is not a realistic price and nothing to do with anything but profit for the farmer

whether we are in or out of eu that will not change
    Don't confuse him with facts!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Take your pick.

Also, I'm not sure how many shops "rent" of the British government.

And then you go on to point out about you not wanting to use local farmers in case they make a profit.

Nice as well to see you want to put yourself in a group who "can't afford" to buy locally produced food because it's too expensive.

"Everyone else's fault apart from mine, mate" - That should be your slogan, cause it's what you've been preaching.

1. Yes lots of shops rent off the council

Retail units | Council owned commercial property in Coventry | Coventry City Council

and guess what they put the rent up quite often

Rent increases force business owner to close up shop (From The Northern Echo)

After his three year lease ended, Mr Hewison received a letter from Business Durham advising that his rent was going to rise by 25 per cent and the service charge by 201 per cent, equating to an extra 41 per cent in charges.
    No I just suggested that as Farm prices are normally 2-3 times supermarket prices there might be a bit of profit in there.

You have no idea of my circumstances. So keep your petty judgmental attitude to yourself. I could choose to spend my money with a local farm or Butcher or on other things I won't be ordered to do so by Diktat.

No I realise I can't change anything significantly as a consumer.

You know I don't own a Supermarket don't you?

Maybe I can change it as a Voter?

I have no need to take ownership of a problem I didn't create or significantly affect. You can do what you like.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    "We" could be self sufficient in food, but it would mean that "our" diet would need to change and "we" might have to pay more for things rather than buying the cheapest imported stuff "we" can find.

Shame that some think that local farmers make a "mint", so "we" must not use them.
    Have you ever been to a farm shop

£8 for a cottage pie - that is not a realistic price and nothing to do with anything but profit for the farmer

whether we are in or out of eu that will not change

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    A lesson long forgotten, unfortunately.

"We" could be self sufficient in food, but it would mean that "our" diet would need to change and "we" might have to pay more for things rather than buying the cheapest imported stuff "we" can find.

Shame that some think that local farmers make a "mint", so "we" must not use them.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    And whilst I'm on my soap box, the most valuable lesson WE learnt from WWII was to be self sufficient in food.
    A lesson long forgotten, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    British Shops are owned by overseas companies.
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Our Government should help business to compete. They don't because among other things they charge outrageous rents & taxes to small shops.

Take your pick.

Also, I'm not sure how many shops "rent" of the British government.

And then you go on to point out about you not wanting to use local farmers in case they make a profit.

Nice as well to see you want to put yourself in a group who "can't afford" to buy locally produced food because it's too expensive.

"Everyone else's fault apart from mine, mate" - That should be your slogan, cause it's what you've been preaching.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Perhaps we should as JC Bamford Ltd, rather than trying to pass responsibility on by claiming anyone who thinks personal responsibility is important is therefore a communist.

Rather pathetic of you - you can't argue your point so resort to name calling and pictures.
    No my point was you were starting to sound like an old Trotskyite they always blamed the people for poor outcomes when it was their policies that made the difference.

The pictures were to cheer it up here. Soviet propaganda Art is surprisingly good.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Nope, you totally missed the point. You can't spend your life blaming everyone and refusing to so anything yourself.

"Our Government" doesn't buy your groceries for you and your family
    "Our Government" doesn't say you must eat strawberries from Peru on Christmas day
    "Our Government" doesn't say you must go to a local shop to try something, then buy it online from abroad for a few pounds less.

But it's easier for some to blame "Our Government" or "The EU" or "Big business" than to make a choice in how you lead your own life.

and you missed the point Our Government is paid to promote Britain. This idea that we all should go back to 1950 if we Brexit or feel Globalisation is too extreme is not very convincing.

If people want to buy reasonable quality food from a supermarket that is fair enough. Not everyone can afford the premium option.

Our Government should help business to compete. They don't because among other things they charge outrageous rents & taxes to small shops. They allow the import of very cheap goods that undercut our producers.

Its not Greenham Common its not the public's responsibility to camp out in front of Tesco's and complain or to impoverish themselves so some local farmer can make a mint on organic veg.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    au contrere.

"Our Government" doesn't buy your groceries for you and your family
    Nope but it does buy its groceries for the NHS, Army etc. And guess where they buy it from? The Army buys most of its meat (including Beef) from France y virtue of the 'tendering process' which means that the subsidised meat in France is cheaper than our own. And whilst I'm on my soap box, the most valuable lesson WE learnt from WWII was to be self sufficient in food.

"Our Government" doesn't say you must eat strawberries from Peru on Christmas day
    What was that about being self determinate again?
    "Our Government" doesn't say you must go to a local shop to try something, then buy it online from abroad for a few pounds less.
    - You can't buy a Chinese knock off Jag (yet) but you can buy a Chinese Jaguar made by Jag.

Isn't Capitalism great?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X