• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting a new passport"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    Got my new one yesterday - 5 days normal service
    Precisely what I said, then. If MF wants to drive to the arse-end of nowhere, that's down to him...

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    My ten years is up and I need a new one. Last time I drove to Swansea to get one, but this time I have a few weeks before I need to fly.

Does anyone have experience of the process now? Do I need to go up to London, or is the fast track service really a week? Do you have to send in your old one?

Anyone had to do this recently?
    A few weeks back the weekly service took exactly a week. This biometric stuff makes them very fussy on photos so that can delay things and is why I took my form to Newport so that if they rejected them (which they did) I could use their machine until they were happy.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    The standard applications come back quite quickly these days, probably within a week or so. Best to get the Post Office checking service done too as that virtually guarantees it will be accepted first time. They will also be able to advise on whether or not "landscape" photos are kosher as well as the more traditional "portrait" ones.

HTH

WHS

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Rightio, heading up to London on Wednesday night to camp down outside the Passport Office at Victoria at the next door Hilton

If anyone fancies a glass of champers, let me know. I can get you in the free bar.

Leave a comment:

• Beatrix Kiddo
    replied
    Re the one I sent off on Monday (normal service), I've just had this text message:

Your new passport should arrive within a few working days. Keep it safe. Report any loss at www.gov.uk. Your supporting documents will be returned separately.
    That's pretty good. ("Keep it safe", though . It was my £80-odd, not theirs.)

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Got my new one yesterday - 5 days normal service

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    They say that, but that's just to cover themselves. If it's a quiet time of year (i.e. not June / July etc.) you'll have it before you know it. And don't go to London, that's where everyone else goes, if I needed it in a hurry, I'd go to Peterborough. But you won't need to

We have a London office not far from the office. I shall go there next week

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Post office just said it could take 1,2 or 3 weeks. If you want it within 3, best go to London.

So London it is then.
    They say that, but that's just to cover themselves. If it's a quiet time of year (i.e. not June / July etc.) you'll have it before you know it. And don't go to London, that's where everyone else goes, if I needed it in a hurry, I'd go to Peterborough. But you won't need to

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Post office just said it could take 1,2 or 3 weeks. If you want it within 3, best go to London.

So London it is then.
    With such levels of impatience ....

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Got mine in 5 days, just using normal post office checking service (November last year). And yes, you do need to send the old one, but they send it back with a chunk of the front lopped off to make it obvious it is no longer valid.

So London it is then.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    My ten years is up and I need a new one. Last time I drove to Swansea to get one, but this time I have a few weeks before I need to fly.

Does anyone have experience of the process now? Do I need to go up to London, or is the fast track service really a week? Do you have to send in your old one?

Anyone had to do this recently?
    Got mine in 5 days, just using normal post office checking service (November last year). And yes, you do need to send the old one, but they send it back with a chunk of the front lopped off to make it obvious it is no longer valid.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Mate did the fast track in person yesterday.

Turned up at 12:30, gave them the needful then went over the road to the pub for lunch. 2.5 hrs later he picked up his new one and headed back to the pub.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Use the Post Office. There are several dodgy websites that will charge you extra to do the same as the proper one does, but the PO will check it for you before you send it off.
    Yes, you get the old one back - surprised you didn't know that as a global traveller. Also, if any of your stories of travel were true, make sure you get the bigger one - you'll need the extra pages.
    Lost my last one, so no didn't know you could keep it.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Use the Post Office. There are several dodgy websites that will charge you extra to do the same as the proper one does, but the PO will check it for you before you send it off.
    Yes, you get the old one back - surprised you didn't know that as a global traveller. Also, if any of your stories of travel were true, make sure you get the bigger one - you'll need the extra pages.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X