• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a new passport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a new passport

My ten years is up and I need a new one. Last time I drove to Swansea to get one, but this time I have a few weeks before I need to fly.

Does anyone have experience of the process now? Do I need to go up to London, or is the fast track service really a week? Do you have to send in your old one?

Anyone had to do this recently?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Got mine same day in Liverpool a year or three back

Comment

Apparently they've stopped issuing them until after the referendum in case they have to change some of the wording
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Make new set of photoes first, you may find that with all those pies you've eaten your face won't fit ...

Comment

My neighbour got theirs back in a couple of weeks - didn't bother with the fast track service because they were sending four passports. Three were brand new, one was five years out of date.

If you do the Post Office checking service then that would be quicker, and a replacement should be OK too.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Make new set of photoes first, you may find that with all those pies you've eaten your face won't fit ...
            I don't think they accept panoramic photos.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The standard applications come back quite quickly these days, probably within a week or so. Best to get the Post Office checking service done too as that virtually guarantees it will be accepted first time. They will also be able to advise on whether or not "landscape" photos are kosher as well as the more traditional "portrait" ones.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I just sent mine off on Monday. You do have to send the old one with the application. I would have chosen the fast-track service except that you have to make an appointment and go in person.

Comment

Go to one of those photo shops and tell them your photos are for your passport.

They will make you stand in front of a white background, make you take glasses off, tell you not to smile, etc and frame you correctly.

Once you have your photos where you look like a murderer e.g. how you look like you have been on a flight for over a day , then go online and do the other stuff. linky

I did my last year and it took about 2.5 weeks. The 0.5 weeks was due to the courier having to come again as you have to be in to sign for it.
                  Last edited by SueEllen; 13 April 2016, 21:17.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    My ten years is up and I need a new one. Last time I drove to Swansea to get one, but this time I have a few weeks before I need to fly.

Does anyone have experience of the process now? Do I need to go up to London, or is the fast track service really a week? Do you have to send in your old one?

Anyone had to do this recently?
                    Did it last month. From abroad it was easy.

Filled in online form, and paid by credit card - this covers the new passport and the courier service. Printed off a sheet with the application information. Took new photos in photo booth, designed even here to produce photos to British passport specification (on second attempt - first attempt scuppered 'cos some scroat had graffitied across the back screen and I didn't notice until too late). If you look pretty much the same as before, you don't need the photos signed on the back.

Photos, application sheet, passport into an envelope and sent to the UK registered post. Got my new shiny passport 10 days later.

I believe the non-overseas application process is essentially the same.

Very simple and easy. I was quite impressed.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X