• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: DIY Wills

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DIY Wills"

Collapse

• geoffreywhereveryoumaybe
    replied
    Di's Will

2nd in line to the throne

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    "Would You like to Know More"

https://www.gov.uk/make-will/overview

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Only if you have an officially recognised will in the first place, naming who the parties ARE!

Registering it is still key. Her last will was from 2013 and more recently she had talked about perhaps leaving/giving money to her brother. If she'd written a newer will and not told anyone, or told him but not given him a copy, it could get awkward.
    I'm not aware of any legal requirement to register a will - nor any kind of governmental repository - only as a service provided (at £30 costish) by private companies
    All my kids & wife know where the wills are located, where the investments are & neither of us intend to leave anything to anyone beyond the immediate family so a fairly simple arrangement

Each will have to decide their own circumstances and decide which route to take

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    As long as all parties agree you can change the contents of a will - presumably to include negating it's existence
    Only if you have an officially recognised will in the first place, naming who the parties ARE!

Registering it is still key. Her last will was from 2013 and more recently she had talked about perhaps leaving/giving money to her brother. If she'd written a newer will and not told anyone, or told him but not given him a copy, it could get awkward.

Leave a comment:

• castoff101
    replied
    My mother died fairly recently and she had drafted a diy will using a kit from WH Smiths. As others have said if all is simple then diy is fine, just make sure it's all witnessed.

I have used the services of a solicitor but a charity paid for the cost, maybe an option if you are over 50, just have to leave something to the charity!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We were advised (possibly tongue in cheek since we found the master copy shortly after) that since it just gave everything to her children, it would be easiest to say "there is no will"!
    As long as all parties agree you can change the contents of a will - presumably to include negating it's existence

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The biggest thing you can do to keep things simple is make sure everyone can actually find the authoritative original copy of the will, so there can be no dispute which one is valid.

Mum's was simple but while several of us had copies, we couldn't initially find the original and she hadn't gotten it registered. We were advised (possibly tongue in cheek since we found the master copy shortly after) that since it just gave everything to her children, it would be easiest to say "there is no will"!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
    I got simular question, my baby due next month I live with the mother in a house that is soley in my name no morg and we are not married / engaged. I do have a will but it just splits my estate equally for members of my family, I want to change it to make sure my kid and the mother are never homeless is there anyway I can do this (apart from getting married) so they don't have to incur IHT which would be massive ?
    Yeah. Talk to lawyer - trust funds etc. This is exactly the kind of example where DIY is not advised.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Pay a few hundred quid to get a solicitor to sort it out properly, that way it will be less worry.
    Having been sorting out my mother's, who did hers through a will writing company, there are several 'odd' clauses, that obviously weren't explained to her properly and I'm sure she wouldn't have had if she'd understood them.

So I'd say pay the extra and get someone who knows what they're doing.

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    I got simular question, my baby due next month I live with the mother in a house that is soley in my name no morg and we are not married / engaged. I do have a will but it just splits my estate equally for members of my family, I want to change it to make sure my kid and the mother are never homeless is there anyway I can do this (apart from getting married) so they don't have to incur IHT which would be massive ?

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Had a lawyer one once. A few years later needed to do some rewriting, so used tenminutewill. What they produced was essentially the same as what the lawyer had, for considerably less money.

If your affairs are simple, there is no point in having a lawyer do it. And if it does all go horribly wrong, why worry? You'll be dead.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    You can get a will by a decent solicitor for a lot less than that. I paid £120 though they were doing a special offer admittedly.
    I think £100-200 is about what we paid for ours as a joint deal (mirror wills pretty much so hardly double the work), and that included having them registered somewhere or other.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I was quoted £400 each for my wife & I
    You can get a will by a decent solicitor for a lot less than that. I paid £120 though they were doing a special offer admittedly.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    When I did it, the solicitor said, you can either leave it to your children, or you can explicitly name them.

I looked at the solicitor, then at my wife, had a think and then said 'Better name them'.

'WTF?' went the wife.

Better safe than sorry.
    yeah you don't want FLC's kids getting rich!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you don't want to do anything unusual or complicated, and your wishes are not going to inspire interested parties to challenge it, then it's fine. If you imagine any dispute or confusion after your death, get something more iron clad.

My mother and father both had wills about 1/2 a piece of A4. They were witnessed by a local will advisor who had no issues with them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X