• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY Wills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't want to do anything unusual or complicated, and your wishes are not going to inspire interested parties to challenge it, then it's fine. If you imagine any dispute or confusion after your death, get something more iron clad.

My mother and father both had wills about 1/2 a piece of A4. They were witnessed by a local will advisor who had no issues with them.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      When I did it, the solicitor said, you can either leave it to your children, or you can explicitly name them.

I looked at the solicitor, then at my wife, had a think and then said 'Better name them'.

'WTF?' went the wife.

Better safe than sorry.
      yeah you don't want FLC's kids getting rich!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I was quoted £400 each for my wife & I
        You can get a will by a decent solicitor for a lot less than that. I paid £120 though they were doing a special offer admittedly.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          You can get a will by a decent solicitor for a lot less than that. I paid £120 though they were doing a special offer admittedly.
          I think £100-200 is about what we paid for ours as a joint deal (mirror wills pretty much so hardly double the work), and that included having them registered somewhere or other.

Comment

Had a lawyer one once. A few years later needed to do some rewriting, so used tenminutewill. What they produced was essentially the same as what the lawyer had, for considerably less money.

If your affairs are simple, there is no point in having a lawyer do it. And if it does all go horribly wrong, why worry? You'll be dead.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I got simular question, my baby due next month I live with the mother in a house that is soley in my name no morg and we are not married / engaged. I do have a will but it just splits my estate equally for members of my family, I want to change it to make sure my kid and the mother are never homeless is there anyway I can do this (apart from getting married) so they don't have to incur IHT which would be massive ?

Cheers
              I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Pay a few hundred quid to get a solicitor to sort it out properly, that way it will be less worry.
                Having been sorting out my mother's, who did hers through a will writing company, there are several 'odd' clauses, that obviously weren't explained to her properly and I'm sure she wouldn't have had if she'd understood them.

So I'd say pay the extra and get someone who knows what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                  I got simular question, my baby due next month I live with the mother in a house that is soley in my name no morg and we are not married / engaged. I do have a will but it just splits my estate equally for members of my family, I want to change it to make sure my kid and the mother are never homeless is there anyway I can do this (apart from getting married) so they don't have to incur IHT which would be massive ?
                  Yeah. Talk to lawyer - trust funds etc. This is exactly the kind of example where DIY is not advised.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The biggest thing you can do to keep things simple is make sure everyone can actually find the authoritative original copy of the will, so there can be no dispute which one is valid.

Mum's was simple but while several of us had copies, we couldn't initially find the original and she hadn't gotten it registered. We were advised (possibly tongue in cheek since we found the master copy shortly after) that since it just gave everything to her children, it would be easiest to say "there is no will"!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      We were advised (possibly tongue in cheek since we found the master copy shortly after) that since it just gave everything to her children, it would be easiest to say "there is no will"!
                      As long as all parties agree you can change the contents of a will - presumably to include negating it's existence
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X