• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""I read somewhere...""

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Ian Brady loved Filet o’ Fish, insist McDonald’s

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why? Do YOU have a secret history working with socially deprived people and low-income housing you'd like to share with us?
    Because my church is involved in several such projects and I know people on the "front lines" so to speak as well as a few of the people they've helped turn their lives around. So I've seen how they work with people, heard about the challenges a soft southern middle-class person faces trying to impose discipline on a group of rough uneducated northerners who view flitting in and out of prison as quite normal, etc.

And since you ask I have been renting out my house in a deprived, low-income area for about 8 years, after we lived there a few years ourselves and saw for ourselves what it was like. So yes.
    My family have, after watching them trying to figure out how to pay the bills when some barsteward did a moonlight flit after not paying rent for 3-6 months (happened frequently as many were from abroad and once their degree ended they just went home leaving debt everywhere) , tenants that rendered the rooms uninhabitable (some really unbelievable sights) , being short on the electric bill because they had bypassed the meter in their room, the ones that hit my father & threatened my family I decided not to do it.

Some people are just horrible and I admire your commitment but honestly I'm cynical.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    NLYUK's staff don't get any employment benefits.
    They just come and go. Or is that the client base?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    been a landlord long?
    Why? Do YOU have a secret history working with socially deprived people and low-income housing you'd like to share with us?
    Because my church is involved in several such projects and I know people on the "front lines" so to speak as well as a few of the people they've helped turn their lives around. So I've seen how they work with people, heard about the challenges a soft southern middle-class person faces trying to impose discipline on a group of rough uneducated northerners who view flitting in and out of prison as quite normal, etc.

And since you ask I have been renting out my house in a deprived, low-income area for about 8 years, after we lived there a few years ourselves and saw for ourselves what it was like. So yes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Have you been studying NLYUK's business model?
    NLYUK's staff don't get any employment benefits.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    nope read the post
    Well then that answers your question. The charity will do the vetting. Such charities are used to dealing with people like this and do differentiate between those needing help, and those who are bad news... you develop a nose for it as well as being involved in the communities to hear what's going on. At least those I know working in homeless care and social work for the deprived work this way. They set quite strict rules and enforce them because discipline and understanding consequences is something that is often missing. Being kind and charitable doesn't mean being naive.

we all know you want to exploit some asylum seeker rather than training up a local , "may your morals be overridden by greed" not sure where that was on the stone tablet...
    What?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you treat people like crap they'll probably meet your expectations. It's a bit of a vicious circle with landlords in deprived areas... they treat the tenants like scum because they can't be trusted; the tenants then act badly and treat the house badly, reinforcing the landlord's views and so on and so on. Breaking such a chain involves risk and probably cost which means people rarely try.
    been a landlord long?

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Maybe they've already got to know the people they're housing? We have an asylum seeker staying with us. We'd known him for a year before inviting him. I'm hoping his application is granted as I'd like to take him on as a permie and makes some money out of him.
    Have you been studying NLYUK's business model?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
    This just isn't going to end well.
    If you treat people like crap they'll probably meet your expectations. It's a bit of a vicious circle with landlords in deprived areas... they treat the tenants like scum because they can't be trusted; the tenants then act badly and treat the house badly, reinforcing the landlord's views and so on and so on. Breaking such a chain involves risk and probably cost which means people rarely try.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Maybe they've already got to know the people they're housing? We have an asylum seeker staying with us. We'd known him for a year before inviting him. I'm hoping his application is granted as I'd like to take him on as a permie and makes some money out of him.
    nope read the post

The husband and wife asked charity Hope Projects to find them some tenants
    we all know you want to exploit some asylum seeker rather than training up a local , "may your morals be overridden by greed" not sure where that was on the stone tablet...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Moody Mod strikes again.

OK I can only post about cars, watches or attacking another poster.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You might house people you already know. It mentions they're Christians so their church might have a program helping such people, which can funnel candidates their way.

Or they might not care about vetting that much, and take the view that if their house gets trashed, that's a risk they're willing to take.

Leave a comment:

• jbond007
    replied
    This just isn't going to end well. The charity workers themselves are going to need charity to help them

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Charity workers who used life savings to buy first home to house asylum seekers | Daily Mail Online

Whilst I'm impressed that they care that much, lets hope it turns out OK. I fear it will turn to Tulip.
    <Headline Placeholder> Muslim Asylum seekers behead Christian Charity Worker after massive house blaze cause them to lose benefits>>

Leave a comment:

Working...
X