• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Swiss role and agency"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    If a counter offer has been made you haven't suddenly become more valuable, It’s because your manager doesn’t want to deal with the work disruption your departure could create.

They are going to want their moneys worth and your promotion prospects are shot. As well as the Swiss, Peoplesoft remembers.
    Also working in another country such as Switzerland may well make you attractive to future employers.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Never.

If a counter offer has been made you haven't suddenly become more valuable, It’s because your manager doesn’t want to deal with the work disruption your departure could create.

They are going to want their moneys worth and your promotion prospects are shot. As well as the Swiss, Peoplesoft remembers.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Swiss don't forget about anything, apart from lost artworks and gold..

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    People have a right to give short notice for the probationary period in Switzerland, so I can't see him being billed, obviously his name will be mud with the bank. HR will make a note.

Contracts in Switzerland are for temporary employment with 4 week notice during probation.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 8 January 2016, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If he has signed a contract, then they can bill him for the costs. However, he is highly likely to be on a probationary period with one month's or even one week's notice. If he's silly enough to accept the counter offer (see DodgyAgent's post), then he should give immediate notice to his new employer. They may let him just go; they could require him to work two weeks (or bill him for the costs if he doesn't). Swiss law is less heavily weighted towards the employee than UK law.

And that uses up DA's sensible post quota of this year.
    If they bill him and he does not pay, there will be a debit registered against his name. This may cause problems if he decided to go to Switzerland at a later date. Unable to rent an apartment etc. People have been stopped at the border and asked/forced to pay years old parking tickets. Swiss don't forget.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If he has signed a contract, then they can bill him for the costs. However, he is highly likely to be on a probationary period with one month's or even one week's notice. If he's silly enough to accept the counter offer (see DodgyAgent's post), then he should give immediate notice to his new employer. They may let him just go; they could require him to work two weeks (or bill him for the costs if he doesn't). Swiss law is less heavily weighted towards the employee than UK law.

Drivel it is from now on

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    He should not accept a counter offer, as it will mean the agent will not earn his lucrative commission

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by venaticorielrose View Post
    Hi need a bit of advice
    My brother accepted a role in Switzerland and all background screening work permit etc is complete he is joining in two wks time
    He have resign from his current role but the company comeback and offered a very good package

if he say no to Swiss company they can charge him for wasting their time ?
    as they have arrange interviews and work permit and accommodation
    Everything's is ready for him to join

The role in Swiss is with a bank and is via an agency who will be the employer

Thanks

He should not accept a counter offer. Most who do end up leaving anyway and to increase pay or give promotion just because someone is leaving is not a good basis of employment. The employer will resent the blackmail and the employee will often find continuing not up to expectations.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    He should not accept a counter offer. Most who do end up leaving anyway and to increase pay or give promotion just because someone is leaving is not a good basis of employment. The employer will resent the blackmail and the employee will often find continuing not up to expectations.
    Indeed in these circumstances I tend to say if you think I was worth that you should have been paying me it.

I sit through the annual review process, get told how good I am and despite being the go to guy when no one else can do it then got told I should do XYZ to improve. Then I get the annual excuse for not giving me a raise.

If that happens its time to get out! Don't look back
    Last edited by vetran; 8 January 2016, 12:29.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• venaticorielrose
    replied
    Thanks you are spot on his English is worse than mine
    Sorry I am trying to type this on a phone and auto correct feature along with my poor linguistics skills are to blame

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Sounds like your brother needs a substitute for his swiss roll. I'd go with a nice battenburg. It'll appeal to the same demographic.

Or:

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I think they will track him down, empty his pockets and bump him off.

HTH.

Swiss banks are very good at losing/hiding/burying stuff.
    Got some art stolen by the Nazis? Swiss bank.
    Want to hide something? Swiss bank.

To the OP, it's up to you your brother, but if you're he's a contractor and wants to contract in the future, playing games with clients is not a great idea, particularly after they have invested time and money in getting you him in place.

He needs to check his contract as to what it says, also if they paid for any of his travel/expenses for him to just completely waste their time, he might want to consider what to do there.

...or as many may tell you on here, it's the Swiss bank's tough luck.

I guess it depends on your his ethics.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Sounds like your brother needs a substitute for his swiss roll. I'd go with a nice battenburg. It'll appeal to the same demographic.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I do like a swiss roll.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X