• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who's in the Wrong?"

Collapse

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    As a cyclist, I have to say you were a total bell end. Whenever doing any sort of overtaking/undertaking, even if it is legal, you have to be careful.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    Ok, so this morning I'm cycling in down the inside of a queue of slow moving traffic.

Car about 3 slots ahead of me suddenly takes a left turn & I have to slam on the anchors to avoid hitting him.

It was a very close shave but if the worst had happened, who would have been at fault?

Fortunately I have enough furniture up front to afford me some protection if it came to it.
    As a cyclist, I have to say you were at fault. Whenever doing any sort of overtaking/undertaking, even if it is legal, you have to be careful.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    It's never going to be safe when there's a constant stream of traffic in both directions.
    Are you saying that the box van that was blocking your view is a permanent installation, or that the stream of traffic consisted solely of such vans?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    But being a pedestrian gives you carte blanche & it's always the driver's fault in incidents involving a car and a pedestrian regardless of the circumstances.

Cyclists are just as vulnerable as pedestrians so maybe should be afforded the same privilege as pedestrians?
    No it doesn't and no it isn't.

http://findlaw.co.uk/law/accidents_a...ts/500048.html

Is a pedestrian entitled to step into a road at any time and assume that the traffic will give way to him?

A pedestrian (or anyone else who uses the road) has a duty to use reasonable care to avoid harm. An adult of normal intelligence who steps into a busy road without regard to car traffic will almost certainly be in breach of that duty. If he was struck by a car and injured, a court would likely apportion a substantial share of the fault to him.
    Last edited by DaveB; 17 December 2015, 10:54.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Pedestrians don't block up every surface, made of tarmac, every ******* weekend though do they?

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Pedestrians don't block up all the single carriageway A roads every ******* weekend though do they?

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Just being on a bike doesn't give you carte blanch to go where you want and expect everyone else to get out of the way.
    But being a pedestrian gives you carte blanche & it's always the driver's fault in incidents involving a car and a pedestrian regardless of the circumstances.

Cyclists are just as vulnerable as pedestrians so maybe should be afforded the same privilege as pedestrians?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Or maybe it's all bollux.

I miss Gricer.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    To be honest, I was kind of on autopilot as I didn't sleep last night & I was feeling the 5 glasses of Croft Original.
    High and p*ssed out of your mind, then.
    They should throw the book at you.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    To be honest, I was kind of on autopilot as I didn't sleep last night & I was feeling the 5 glasses of Croft Original.
    Drunk in charge. Throw away the key.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Probably still over the drink drive limit (Mr Cyclist).

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Maybe you should not have been half cut, you might have had an accident and been breathalysed and over the limit

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Filter on the right when you have about 1 inch between you and the stationary traffic on your left & 1 inch between you the juggeringnaut that's heading right towards you?

Another thing I find with filtering on the right is that you can get stranded out there when the traffic suddenly starts moving & nobody will let you back across.

I'm begining to think cycling in towns is dangerous.
    No, filter on the right when it's safe. Re-join the traffic in your lane when you need to. Take the lane when you need to. Pay attention and when it's not safe, wait until it is. Worst case scenario, that lorry driver is far more likely to see you if you are on the right and in front of him than the driver of the car that wants to turn left when you are on the inside.

Just being on a bike doesn't give you carte blanch to go where you want and expect everyone else to get out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    You could always try waiting until it's safe to proceed
    It's never going to be safe when there's a constant stream of traffic in both directions.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Filter on the right when you have about 1 inch between you and the stationary traffic on your left & 1 inch between you the juggeringnaut that's heading right towards you?

Another thing I find with filtering on the right is that you can get stranded out there when the traffic suddenly starts moving & nobody will let you back across.

I'm begining to think cycling in towns is dangerous.
    You could always try waiting until it's safe to proceed

Leave a comment:

Working...
X