• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Grand Designs: House of the year"

Collapse

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And then if they're proper minimalists they can't even have curtains/blinds because that would "spoil the lines" so everything you do is on display. I agree, not my style at all.
    You wouldn't really have to worry ......

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Last series was too green for me. Have seen reruns of the earlier series on More 4 where Kev still has hair. Much more interesting.

Good to see his co did their sums and will definitely be on budget and be in by xmas.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I thought you were a fan of Sarah's Beanies...
    Haven't watched any of the three for yonks, Ms Beanie or our Kev.

Used to watch Dick Strawbridge & his rather odd Mrs for a while but got fed up with that too.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I might watch the one about the house built on the edge (yes, right on the edge) of a cliff that's cost £5M and looks unlikely to get finished coz the chap building it has run out of money.

Pictures show 'ugly eyesore' lighthouse project which cost man his marriage - Somerset Live
    that was a brutal episode, bloke ploughed millions into it, but only had a shell after 7 years, missus left him in the process looked a broken man at the end

the episode as few weeks ago was quite amusing too.

Fella in a wheel chair building a house to suit his disability, his missus (who was clearly out of his league) was managing the build for him, they split up halfway through (think she took a liking the builder)

i still love this programme

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Are you familiar with the past tense, I used it in my post...
    Of course I'm familiar with it. For example - You used to be amusing. <-- See?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you loved it so much then surely you'd know...

Just saying, like...
    Are you familiar with the past tense, I used it in my post...

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I might watch the one about the house built on the edge (yes, right on the edge) of a cliff that's cost £5M and looks unlikely to get finished coz the chap building it has run out of money.

Pictures show 'ugly eyesore' lighthouse project which cost man his marriage - Somerset Live
    I thought you were a fan of Sarah's Beanies...

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/...thouse-3420993
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 October 2019, 12:05.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied

Just saying, like...
    Haha, I have to confess I'm with D00hg. Used to watch it loads, but don't really watch normal TV now and can't remember the last time I saw it pop up

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    I used to love GD. No idea if it's still even going.

Just saying, like...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I used to love GD. No idea if it's still even going.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Oh Dear(tm).

Kev's Grand Design has bitten the proverbials:

Grand Designs presenter Kevin McCloud'&#39;'s property business collapses into liquidation

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    He's been in the news again only today

Mr Fidler his name is. Wasn't that the caravan site owner's name in Carry on Camping?
    And the inspiration for it was Sandy Balls caravan site (now a 'holiday village' meh) near Ringwood

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Reminds me of that heroic, or heroically stupid, guy who piled up an enormous haystack and then secretly built a castle inside it without planning consent.

It looks like he has now had to demolish it ...
    He's been in the news again only today

Mr Fidler his name is. Wasn't that the caravan site owner's name in Carry on Camping?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    here are some of the houses...

Grand Designs: House of the Year longlist in pictures - Telegraph

A lot of them seem to have massive amounts of floor to ceiling glass windows which must be freezing on dark winter days. They also seem to have nothing in the houses apart from a leather sofa and a dining table.

It looks to me like the modern equivalent of throwing away all your belongings and living in a monastery on the west coast.
    the windows are nearly as efficient as modern built properly insulated walls and have a solar gain, note the configuration is aimed at 'low winter sun' . If the windows lose less than most traditional walls pre say 2000, the heating is something like underfloor and the house is sealed properly why do you think it would be cold?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X