• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bloody Cyclists

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bloody Cyclists"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So when these malicious cyclists come hurtling towards you with their blazing lights blinding you, how often do you lose control and plough into them or crash into a hedge?

It's not a real issue, a cyclist on a dark country road needs to be more visible than normal.

I (and others) have gone onto the bank. Last few times I have stopped.

It may not be an issue for you, but it is for car drivers. Try it some time - shine a CREE headlight into your eye for a few seconds and see how quickly your eye recovers. Imagine that when you are travelling on a road - on a bike, a motorbike or a car.

If you have no sense of responsibility, then continue on your merry way, just don't expect any respect from others if you can't show them any.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    I've been kneecapped by folding bikes before now...
    Was it troll? http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2166873

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    I've been kneecapped by folding bikes before now...

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Nothing, unless the train is busy with commuters, bikes take a lot of space.
    Yes, but if people are decent enough to get out of my way it means I can slip my wheel into the rack in the inter carriage area and remain seated on the saddle of my bici for the duration of the journey thus taking up less space.

When people WON'T clear a thoroughfare the space requirement is of a larger order since both myself AND my bici need enough real estate to accommodate us.

It's their loss really.
    Last edited by Martin Scroatman; 12 November 2015, 14:21.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So when these malicious cyclists come hurtling towards you with their blazing lights blinding you, how often do you lose control and plough into them or crash into a hedge?

It's not a real issue, a cyclist on a dark country road needs to be more visible than normal.
    the brighter and more expensive lights have a full & dim setting its not as easy to use as in a car but very sensible if you are packing 5 watts i.e. roughly 50 watts tight beam halogen equivalent. They may be badly adjusted so they are aimed at drivers.

However very few are as bright as most cars on dipped and I prefer to see a Bikes lights round the corner rather than turn the corner and be confronted by some muppet in the middle of the road with no lights.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Presumably he rides it to and from the train. What's wrong with taking a bike on a train? You think he should cycle 50 miles to work each day?
    Nothing, unless the train is busy with commuters, bikes take a lot of space.

Luckily London has bans on them, during rush hour, so no problem.
    People still bring folding bikes though and don't seem to mind ruining other peoples clothes with the oil.

How do you know about the 50 miles thing?
    I see people take bikes on the train in London, all the time, they won't be going 50 miles, that's for sure.

As I said earlier, the problem is with inconsiderate people, regardless of transport method used.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    What DOES get my goat, though, are inconsiderate people on trains who won't clear a thoroughfare for me to get through
    You're not supposed to ride it on the train

I'll give you a tip, try riding the ferking thing, instead of taking it on the train, FFS.
    Presumably he rides it to and from the train. What's wrong with taking a bike on a train? You think he should cycle 50 miles to work each day?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    They are when in the pitch black they suddenly shine in your eyes. Of course, being an inconsiderate person like you, you probably don't care about others on the road. After all, why should you.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    My hefty, fake, coughsneeze, is always a winner on the Jubilee line

Especially during the ebola phase....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    When I have just been cycling I smell so people clear a path for me.

Actually that works even if I am not cycling.
    My hefty, fake, coughsneeze, is always a winner on the Jubilee line

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I cycle a lot and I am considerate to other road users / pedestrians.

What DOES get my goat, though, are inconsiderate people on trains who won't clear a thoroughfare for me to get through and place my bici in the allocated space.
    When I have just been cycling I smell so people clear a path for me.

Actually that works even if I am not cycling.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    And then there is this:

Driver admits causing death of cyclist John Radford - BBC News

A motorist has admitted causing the death of a cycling safety campaigner who was knocked off his bike in a road rage incident.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    What DOES get my goat, though, are inconsiderate people on trains who won't clear a thoroughfare for me to get through and place my bici in the allocated space.
    I'll give you a tip, try riding the ferking thing, instead of taking it on the train, FFS.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    I cycle a lot and I am considerate to other road users / pedestrians.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Driver admits causing death of cyclist John Radford - BBC News

Road safety campaigner dies. I just hope his death will lead to something to make the roads safer for cyclists.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X