• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Late Timesheets - how to handle?"

Collapse

• Falcon1200
    replied
    Who sends the invoice?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Some clients sign them as you submit them online, others need to be guided. I had one client where I physically had to walk her laptop up to her and go "this months deadline is closing in ten minutes" every month. All part of having your own business.

Have enough warchest that being behind 2 weeks doesn't cause you material harm then just chase the things proactively where you can.
    Last edited by PerfectStorm; 16 April 2020, 17:27.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What's your opt/in out status? I believe I'd you are opted in the agency have to pay you irrespective of a signed time sheet I believe. Or is it opt out. I forget. Its one of the two.
    There's no such thing as opt in.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    What's your opt/in out status? I believe I'd you are opted in the agency have to pay you irrespective of a signed time sheet I believe. Or is it opt out. I forget. Its one of the two.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Send another email to the approver. Use 'flag as important' on the email.
    When asking to sign the timesheet keep it really brief, but use words like "I need this to get paid", or "please can you sign this so I can get paid".

This usually resonates with senior managers. Its no longer a bit of admin, but a means for you to provide for your family.

Leave a comment:

• oilboil
    replied
    Originally posted by sira View Post
    He's a super senior guy who doesn't like talking to people and isn't approachable. Nobody ever just "phones" him. I know it sounds stupid, but its a ridiculous cultural thing in these inhumane US houses.

Also, given the current market conditions naturally I don't want to ruffle feathers. Telling my agency first might be the most suitable way?
    I'm assuming you are doing this gig as an inside IR35 gig, since you are conforming to the client cultural norms and not calling this guy because others don't.

You are a business and you have a right to be paid and communicate with your client. Just pick up the phone...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I know. He's never approved them late before and I've been on meetings with him yesterday and this morning (with other people too so couldnt raise it). Just wanted to know how best to handle it, if the issue persists (as it's new to me) and in the current unprecedented chaos. I wouldn't want to work for 2-3 weeks with no pay obviously.
    Gather evidence that you've worked the days just in case the worst happens.
    It's probably an oversight. I had a hiring manager who had an alarm to approve timesheets at 3PM on Mondays. The fact that he timed it with our afternoon trip to the coffee shop was *ahem* pure coincidence. If your hiring manager has the same, he's probably missed his Monday alarm because he didn't work it.

Alternative paranoid thought - have any other contractors had their timesheet approved yet?

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    I find in situations like that it's really important to demonstrate who the alpha is, and who is really in charge. Kick his door in, push him back down into the chair and explain to him the error of his ways.

Or don't stress so much. Personally I'd phone him up regardless, though - stop being a scaredy cat and run your business.

I worked in an IB with a similar type of boss - everybody was scared of him, tiptoeing round. I dropped out a few mails, knocked on his door a few times and next thing I know I'm being invited to all sorts of meetings. Felt a bit bad for the permies, tbh. Especially when he came to my leaving drinks. Mind you, he really was ******* mental, wouldn't choose to work with him again.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    But still, yesterday was the first day back after the holiday, he's only 1 day late!
    I know. He's never approved them late before and I've been on meetings with him yesterday and this morning (with other people too so couldnt raise it). Just wanted to know how best to handle it, if the issue persists (as it's new to me) and in the current unprecedented chaos. I wouldn't want to work for 2-3 weeks with no pay obviously.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'd be giving my notice in and leaving. Sounds like an utter shambles... :

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    He's a super senior guy who doesn't like talking to people and isn't approachable. Nobody ever just "phones" him. I know it sounds stupid, but its a ridiculous cultural thing in these inhumane US houses.

Also, given the current market conditions naturally I don't want to ruffle feathers. Telling my agency first might be the most suitable way?

But still, yesterday was the first day back after the holiday, he's only 1 day late!

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Phone the timesheet approver and have a chat about it. You will catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar...

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    First time I'm experiencing this, so just wanted to ask how best to handle it. Been contracting quite a while at current client, never had an issue before & was recently given a 2 month extension.

My timesheet for last week hasn't been approved yet. Sent chasers internally but no response (the approver is working). Obviously this week's timesheet is due in a couple of days. If he doesn't sign either of them, that will be 2 weeks worth of timesheets that havent been approved.

At what point would you escalate to the agency? And how many missed time-sheets before you pack it in and don't turn up for work?
    Phone the timesheet approver and have a chat about it. You will catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar...

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    First time I'm experiencing this, so just wanted to ask how best to handle it. Been contracting quite a while at current client, never had an issue before & was recently given a 2 month extension.

My timesheet for last week hasn't been approved yet. Sent chasers internally but no response (the approver is working). Obviously this week's timesheet is due in a couple of days. If he doesn't sign either of them, that will be 2 weeks worth of timesheets that havent been approved.

At what point would you escalate to the agency? And how many missed time-sheets before you pack it in and don't turn up for work?
    It's been one working day since you submitted it and it still hasn't been approved? I'd be packing up my things and leaving immediately

Leave a comment:

• sira
    started a topic Late Timesheets - how to handle?

Late Timesheets - how to handle?

Working...
X