• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ipse Welcomes - government “historic lifeline to contractors”"

Collapse

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    When the tide goes out we'll see who was really wearing IR35 pants......
    The funny thing is that most contractors were ready to tough it out as usual until they realised that someone else was getting something

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Precisely.

Utterly laughable and really quite pathetic to suggest that the gov’t should offer handouts for dividends not received.
    Perhaps they could just bailout our companies.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    When the tide goes out we'll see who was really wearing IR35 pants......

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I’m afraid that I won’t be signing, I will use my warchest - that’s what it’s there for.
    Agreed. If anyone manages to get 80% of £700 or whatever it'll be a bonus.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    125,000 people who understand nothing and are likely to screw things up for everyone else.

Mind you IPSE didn’t understand the issues either so it’s not surprising

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I’m afraid that I won’t be signing, I will use my warchest - that’s what it’s there for.
    Precisely.

Utterly laughable and really quite pathetic to suggest that the gov’t should offer handouts for dividends not received.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I get the argument. And at the moment, I don't need the money and would rather it go to those that do. I'll take the mortgage holiday and consider that a bump.

It's not like I was hoping to get any clients in March anyway.

There will be times when we don't win, just as with sick pay. You must take the rough with the smooth.

If you disagree: Petition . Small Ltd Company Directors to get Government support like the Employed and Self Employed . Change.org

Leave a comment:

• tester552
    replied
    I get the argument. And at the moment, I don't need the money and would rather it go to those that do. I'll take the mortgage holiday and consider that a bump.

There will be times when we don't win, just as with sick pay. You must take the rough with the smooth.

If you disagree: Petition . Small Ltd Company Directors to get Government support like the Employed and Self Employed . Change.org
    This scheme is to cover workers renumeration for their work not shareholders and investors profits, these two roles are normally totally separate unless you have a PSC.

You dont want to tell me do you that when the taxman comes you declare some of the money as shareholders profit - a reward for investing in profitable a company - because the tax is less on it, but when you need taxpayers help you want to suddenly think of the same money as your renumeration for the work.

If this money is a wage it goes to wage expenses in your accounting system and paid out as wage. It cannot be dividend from profits when you tax it, but wage expense when you need to claim against it - your accounting records clearly tells you what this money is, there is no way around it.

Sorry, but government doesnt have money to cover all the investment gains, if they would cover your dividend income, they should cover everyone elses past dividend income and capital gains from stocks on the stock exchange.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Like midgets ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Ha ha ha ha

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Nice spot and certainly answers many of the questions. Still doesn't help those that are asking what help there is but have been on the bench for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• Glencky
    replied
    … and just by way of update: Martin Lewis has now confirmed with HM Treasury that Ltd Co directors can furlough themselves as an employee and take the 80% grant applied to the level of their PAYE earnings.

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/sta...19949605728257

Now just need to see it in writing from a government source, and we can be confident.

As I said in my earlier post, I don't intend claiming anything at this time because I'm working. But if this is still going on when my contract extension ends, I will consider it. God knows, I've been paying enough tax for years to feel justified in it!

Thought I'd post it here for others for whom this is a help. I think there's zero chance of the government underwriting dividend income, but perhaps for quite a lot of people who've been operating outside, 80% of their PAYE element would be better than nowt.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    18,000 people have signed it
    Just How small are these people - anyhooo will give HMRC a great tax dodger list

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Like midgets ?

18,000 people have signed it

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied

Like midgets ?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Glencky View Post
    Whilst I agree with some of what you said, this last bit is... wildly over optimistic.

IMHO.

I'd like to be wrong.
    Well yes. Let's be clear though. The giovernment may well declare the crisis over and stop all financial help after 6 months. We'll be suffering the economic damage for 20 years though. This whole tulipshow is not close enough to my retirement for me to ignore, but close enough to cause problems getting me to the position I planned to be in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X